Remote Start Occasionally Does Not Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every now and then the remote start in my 2019 Yukon will not work. I do NOT have any check engine light on my dash at any other time. I am aware that a check engine light will disable the remote start until cleared, but that isn't what is happening here.

Thus far I have only experienced this issue when remote starting in my garage after the vehicle has not been driven all evening and night. I do not lock my Yukon at night, if that matters. I'll press lock and then immediately hold the remote start button, and occasionally, it will not start. If I look through the window, I'll see the check engine light illuminated on the dash. I can try to remote start again, and the same result will occur. However, if I unlock, open any door, close the door, lock, and remote start again, it will work perfectly and remote start just as it should. Every single time that the remote start fails, if I follow this sequence of operations, it will function perfectly.

Brainstorming, it is my thought that perhaps I am interrupting the fuel pump prime procedure. You are probably aware that if you haven't driven your truck in a number of hours, you will hear the fuel pump prime when you either lock, unlock, or open one of the doors of the truck. So, if sitting all night, pressing the lock button "wakes up" the truck and causes the fuel pump to prime. My only thought is perhaps I am pressing the remote start button and not allowing for a brief delay? At the same time I am wondering why it seems to only reset itself once I open and close a door.

This applies to all 2015-2020 full size SUVs, but will also apply to all 2014-2019 full size trucks, since just about all, if not all, of the electronics are identical.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does need to see a DOUBLE lock prior to hitting the start feature...

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does need to see a DOUBLE lock prior to hitting the start feature...

Actually I don't think that's true. Just this afternoon I started it remotely with only 1 press of the lock button. And the vehicle was unlocked prior.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have interference from it being in your garage. Almost like my Xm doesn’t work when I pull into garage. My 13 and 19 both work with 1 remote lock then quickly pressing remote start. Are you holding the button long enough? Have you tried this outside the garage?

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have interference from it being in your garage. Almost like my Xm doesn’t work when I pull into garage. My 13 and 19 both work with 1 remote lock then quickly pressing remote start. Are you holding the button long enough? Have you tried this outside the garage?

When the remote start functionality locks out, it is very rare, but has always been in my garage. However reception shouldn't matter because I've been right beside the vehicle and it produces the same symptoms. It seems that when this issue happens the remote start system becomes "locked out" or "disabled" until a door is opened and then it will function again flawlessly.

The only thing I've been doing differently now is allowing for a longer delay between the initial "lock" press and the follow up press of the remote start button. This is not a common issue though. I'm still thinking it interrupts the fuel pump prime which initiates during the initial "lock" press and doesn't allow it to start, that's just my personal hunch.

When starting the truck manually from inside, it's doubtful anyone would ever be that quick to jump in and interrupt the early morning first prime of the fuel pump. But when done remotely I find that there's a high possibility that this may be the cause.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will surely try again,,,but to date, mine will NOT start with out locking twice.

and it will only remote start 2 times, which i think is normal but would occasionally like addition starts

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i will surely try again,,,but to date, mine will NOT start with out locking twice.

and it will only remote start 2 times, which i think is normal but would occasionally like addition starts
Try it, I promise..... I was wrong on that too.... habit of locking 2x.... my 13 and my 19..

my ‘13 gets 10 minutes per start, I get 19 minutes because I don’t want it starting again so I use the onstar app and at the 9th minute I do it again....I suppose I could just use the truck remote but then I have t get up off my fat ass..hohum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33