Remote Start "Mode" While Running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hi-psi

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Police Crown Victorias have an aftermarket system where you push a button and it allows the engine to remain on after removing the key. It also kills the engine if it is pulled out of Park. I don’t know if there’s a similar device for Police Tahoes.

Edit: Found it. It’s called Secure-idle. Looks like it’ll work on NNBS since it’s not a push button start.

Awesome find. This would be exactly what I'd like. They have pretty detailed instructions on the install which doesn't look too bad either. Definitely adding this to my (growing) list of wants/to do's.

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
I have one on my Tahoe. Viper makes it. gives you 20 minutes of run time, either way, remote start outside of vehicle, or with it running, you enable the remote start feature, unit enables engine to keep running, remove key from ignition, leave vehicle, lock doors, go into store... come back, unlock vehicle, do not tap brake, insert key into ignition, turn to the run position, touch brake, resume normal driving. works great, used it regularly with the dog in the car too!
the one i use isnt made but they have newere ones with much more robust features, but they still do the feature as I described.

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the brand and futures that you have, but on my before I get out the car I push the remote start button, turn the ignition off pull the key out and the truck stays running till you come back insert key and turn to run position. Hope that helps I have a viper alarm.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck? On my 18 I can exit the vehicle, take key fob with me and lock doors from fob. The vehicle remains running while I run into a store for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To begin, I'm about 99% sure nothing like this exists, maybe legal/liability reasons, or just not enough demand.

So, as most of us are aware, when you initiate a remote start cycle, the vehicle will of course start, then enter a state where all the doors are locked, the engine is running without a key in the ignition, if the hood is popped it will shut off, unless extended it will shut off after 10 mins, and the vehicle can't be shifted out of park (or maybe if it is, it shuts off...not certain on that one).

Ok, all that said, I frequently have situations where I would like to exit the vehicle, leave it running, but have it secured. Maybe I want to run into a convenience store real quick to grab a drink, or I live in an apt complex so I stop at the mail box station and want to get out to check my mail. I hate having to shut the vehicle off in such situations only to be restarting it again 2-5 mins later.

It's a shame there isn't a way once the vehicle is already running with the key in the ignition that you can't put the vehicle into that same "remote start mode", where you could then turn the ignition off and remove the key, open the door, lock the doors, close the door, and then have the vehicle left in that same engine running remote start state for the next 10 mins where if tampered with it will automatically shut off.

I suppose if I wanted the ability bad enough, in theory a "turbo timer" device would accomplish the goal. For any of you unfamiliar, some people are of the opinion that the life of a turbo is cut short if it stops spinning when it is still hot, so a turbo timer is a device that will keep a turbo charged vehicle running for a preset amount of time after the ignition is switched off to ensure an adequate cool down period.

And now I return you to your regularly scheduled forum browsing. :beer:
as soon as you hit brake to shift it should stall out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons