Refreshing my stereo.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chowder

Reaction score
So I have a 2002 Yukon XL, non-bose rear sub with center console tape deck no onstar. Since I got it a few months ago I have been istening to the radio with nothing but tweeters and the third row speakers, maybe one of the back door speakers still work a bit. I got some new In box pioneer ts-g1620f 6.5" speakers for dirt cheap to replace the front door speakers. In a paycheck or two I will replace the rears. My question now is what to do with the blown sub that is making horrific noise. If I just unplug it will I have any issues? I want to replace it eventually but speakers and head unit are first. I may be going on seriously wrong info but a friend who is better at sound equipment than me recommended an amp bypass harness to get rid of it.

Second part of my question for the audiophiles. The pioneer 2 way speakers have a tweeters of course, should I leave the factory tweeters plugged in or just run the pioneers. I realize they are not ideal for a factory radio but for 20 dollars and having no speakers I couldn't pass it up. I am replacing the head unit eventualye. Thanks in advance.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but to cut to the chase I think you need to put up with your stereo for a while.

If you had the bose, I would say unplug it from the sub, because the bose amp (IIRC) is wired into the other speakers too. I think you will be fine to get rid of the sub, you can unplug it at the sub or easier at the amp. If you're subwoofer is bad, you can read up here and see if you would like to find a replacement aftermarket subwoofer, maybe that's something down the road.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...woofer-drivers-to-fit-in-01-02-oem-box.74175/

I think your friend is close, but completely backwards. I thought that bypass harness was so you can use your factory bose amp with an aftermarket head unit, neither of which you have. Someone else will have to verify.

Those speakers are listed as 300w max and 40w nominal. Your factory head unit does not have enough power for those speakers. You will be able to listen at low volume, but if you try to turn it up at all, you might damage your new speakers. Its easier to blow speakers with too little power than too much.

SECOND PART: just unplug the tweeters. Your 2 way speakers are already covering those frequencies.

MY SUGGESTION: It sounds like you are on a REAL tight budget here. Your stereo will sound better once you get an aftermarket head unit, even if it was with just your one pair of speakers (which you could put in the front for the time being). I would start with a head unit (probably used if budget is that tight, ebay, craigslist, or forums). You should be able to find a decent used one for under $40, and a little less than $100 for a new one. There are head units that will push 50w, but those are almost all max wattage, and will still underpower your speakers. Figure out how far you want to go with your entire system. I would suggest finding another set of speakers. Components (different speaker for lows, mids, and tweeters for highs) will sound better than coaxials (the 2 ways you picked up) if your budget allows it. The components/better speakers would then go up front. If not a better pair, then what would be best is to try to pick up another set of the pioneers you have, or something similar in power range. Those are 40w nominal 300w max. I would look for a small amp for two pairs of speakers a 4 channel amp with low wattage, something like a 4 x 40w RMS up to a 4ch x 75W RMS, (even new you can find one for less than $100, and as low as $50). It would be powerful enough for your system, but still small enough it wouldn't be a big drain on your electrical system, (which means upgrading other things like alternator, speaker wiring, battery..).

Having said all that; since it sounds like it is going to take a little bit for you to save up any ways, I would REALLY SUGGEST that you figure out what you want to do with your stereo. What your end all goals are and what options you want with your stereo. Start looking around your local Craigslist, ebay, here, and crutchfield. Crutchfield will give you more options than anywhere, they will give you install support if you need it, they will include the little pieces you need to install, and I'm pretty sure they price match. See what is out there, your options are, what prices are going for, BUT DON'T BUY ANYTHING ELSE.... Black Friday and Cyber Monday are a month and a half away. You will find some of the best deals all year long, and will get new equipment for the price of used. Its not difficult at all if you do it yourself, but you should be able to find a place locally that will install for cheap enough. I would think what you should really be looking for is a package deal on craigslist; head unit, amp, speakers, wiring, (that you know works before you buy it, for roughly $100) and they might even help to install to get a sale . Unless you can find something like that, I would wait it out a month and a half.

Last edited:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or if you're going to shop around one of the other places I like is FRYS.com (electronics superstore) like best buy, but they occasionally have a really great deal. I've seen $40-$50 head units on sale for $10. They have weekly, and daily deals.

Csurp

Reaction score
You don't mention anything but the sound but are you also wanting things like rear camera, Android Auto/Apple Car Play or even Sirius/XM radio?

Those will effect what head unit will work for you.

OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but to cut to the chase I think you need to put up with your stereo for a while.

If you had the bose, I would say unplug it from the sub, because the bose amp (IIRC) is wired into the other speakers too. I think you will be fine to get rid of the sub, you can unplug it at the sub or easier at the amp. If you're subwoofer is bad, you can read up here and see if you would like to find a replacement aftermarket subwoofer, maybe that's something down the road.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...woofer-drivers-to-fit-in-01-02-oem-box.74175/

I think your friend is close, but completely backwards. I thought that bypass harness was so you can use your factory bose amp with an aftermarket head unit, neither of which you have. Someone else will have to verify.

Those speakers are listed as 300w max and 40w nominal. Your factory head unit does not have enough power for those speakers. You will be able to listen at low volume, but if you try to turn it up at all, you might damage your new speakers. Its easier to blow speakers with too little power than too much.

SECOND PART: just unplug the tweeters. Your 2 way speakers are already covering those frequencies.

MY SUGGESTION: It sounds like you are on a REAL tight budget here. Your stereo will sound better once you get an aftermarket head unit, even if it was with just your one pair of speakers (which you could put in the front for the time being). I would start with a head unit (probably used if budget is that tight, ebay, craigslist, or forums). You should be able to find a decent used one for under $40, and a little less than $100 for a new one. There are head units that will push 50w, but those are almost all max wattage, and will still underpower your speakers. Figure out how far you want to go with your entire system. I would suggest finding another set of speakers. Components (different speaker for lows, mids, and tweeters for highs) will sound better than coaxials (the 2 ways you picked up) if your budget allows it. The components/better speakers would then go up front. If not a better pair, then what would be best is to try to pick up another set of the pioneers you have, or something similar in power range. Those are 40w nominal 300w max. I would look for a small amp for two pairs of speakers a 4 channel amp with low wattage, something like a 4 x 40w RMS up to a 4ch x 75W RMS, (even new you can find one for less than $100, and as low as $50). It would be powerful enough for your system, but still small enough it wouldn't be a big drain on your electrical system, (which means upgrading other things like alternator, speaker wiring, battery..).

Having said all that; since it sounds like it is going to take a little bit for you to save up any ways, I would REALLY SUGGEST that you figure out what you want to do with your stereo. What your end all goals are and what options you want with your stereo. Start looking around your local Craigslist, ebay, here, and crutchfield. Crutchfield will give you more options than anywhere, they will give you install support if you need it, they will include the little pieces you need to install, and I'm pretty sure they price match. See what is out there, your options are, what prices are going for, BUT DON'T BUY ANYTHING ELSE.... Black Friday and Cyber Monday are a month and a half away. You will find some of the best deals all year long, and will get new equipment for the price of used. Its not difficult at all if you do it yourself, but you should be able to find a place locally that will install for cheap enough. I would think what you should really be looking for is a package deal on craigslist; head unit, amp, speakers, wiring, (that you know works before you buy it, for roughly $100) and they might even help to install to get a sale . Unless you can find something like that, I would wait it out a month and a half.

Thank you for the feedback this is a huge help. Sorry it took forever to replay I never saw a notification that someone replied to me lol. I am definitely on a tight budget, I may just bite the bullet and spend a bit but I am saving to take my family on vacation, had to buy tires and all that other stuff life throws at you lol. I installed the pioneer speakers and they sound ok (once I figure our that the passenger speaker was wired backwards, I love being colorblind...) but they are a bit disapointing. I installed some cheap factory replacment speakers in the back doors that I got at autozone and even though it is not optimal I can at least listen to some music now. I unplugged the Sub so at least I don't have that horrible popping when I turn it up a bit.

The pioneers have almost zero low range, I'm guessing thats because they are severely underpowered? I will get an inexpensive headunit soon but from the sounds of it I will still want to replace my front speakers. They were cheap so no huge loss I will just sell them cheap or give them away if I find something more fitting.

As for my goal wth the stereo. For now It is just getting to at least factory quality but adding bluetooth for calling and streaming music/podcasts from my phone. Much later on once more of the truck is freshened up I will splurge on a new sub and maybe some amplified speakers lol. Ill admit I mainly listen to podcast so I can live with a weak system but is sure disapoints my daughter lol. Every once in a while I remember I love music and the system is disapointing. Again, thanks for all the info it is pointing me in the right direction to at least piece something together over time.

OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
You don't mention anything but the sound but are you also wanting things like rear camera, Android Auto/Apple Car Play or even Sirius/XM radio?

Those will effect what head unit will work for you.

Those things would be nice but I probably wouldnt spend the extra cash to get it. Basicly looking for bluetooth and decent sound quality. Just so I am not patheticly listening to Podcasts through my phone speaker on the console lol.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even used stuff up to roughly 5 years ago, 90+% of everything comes with Bluetooth as almost a standard feature. The really cheap brands like Dual and Boss, might not have them on some of there newer models. Its your money, but I would buy a $30 pawn shop/craigslist deck before I bought a boss or dual deck. (Would you buy a used Tahoe for $9K with 100K miles or a new $9K Hyundai??)

Wattage doesn't mean better, it just means louder. You need a certain amount to get them up to a standard level, but going from RMS to max, were talking a lot of watts to get a couple of decibals. Any speakers on the market should be able to get enough volume to listen to at semi-loud levels. Not teenager, doesn't think about hearing in the future kind of levels, but loud enough to listen to it.

A new head unit will definitely improve things. Thinking a little more, I KNOW Sony has head units that will do 40-50 w x 4 RMS power. They may cost $150-$200 (new), but it means not buying an amp or wiring, and also making a very simple install. It may cost you $100 more than a cheaper head unit, but that's about what you would spend on an amp, and wiring. If you get a second set of speakers that are high wattage, you will need an amp just for those. If you end up getting a second set of speakers with roughly the same wattage, you can use 1 small four ch amp, or just the head unit. Not sure how much research you want to do, or if you use ebay. That seems like something you could set up a search, and just keep an eye out on a good deal for a head unit. Search "RMS" so you know it gives you the information in the description, and look for something that has 30-50 watts x 4, or start going through every manufacturer and see what model numbers you can come up with and keep adding (although most will only show current models).

I was just doing a quick search, and found:

This one is an off brand, but that's a sony look alike face. It says USA, but I think its a Chinese knock off, but it "SUPPOSEDLY" has the wattage and features you would want for a good price. I would look for some reviews first.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Media-...=item257884f1fa:g:RSgAAOSwJtdaDyla:rk:35:pf:0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518