Refinish headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go to an online GM parts dealer and look them up, the coat hangers for this are discontinued, pn 15760164. Looks like they’re a wrecking yard part. The ones for the newer models are completely different.
I wounder why GM and other makers always change these designs. Is kind of silly. I maybe able to get by without them for a while, until I can find them at the parts yard.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New day new problem lol

Okay so I've figured out that my truck headliner is M2140 Medium Dark Pewter as per "Surcolor Automotive Headlining" samples card.

However, this only comes in 60" width with the 1/4 foam backing. The headliner is exactly 60" wide. That doesn't figure in any of the contours :(

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
New day new problem lol

Okay so I've figured out that my truck headliner is M2140 Medium Dark Pewter as per "Surcolor Automotive Headlining" samples card.

However, this only comes in 60" width with the 1/4 foam backing. The headliner is exactly 60" wide. That doesn't figure in any of the contours :(
It does stretch some. Have you asked about a custom length for your application? Can't hurt.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop was closed today. I'm going to call them Monday and see if they can do a custom width. To at least give me 3 inches or so overhang. I see everybody online folds the overhang over and glues it to back of headliner.

I also notice the foam structure of headliner in some areas is damaged. Mostly at corners where pillars are. Somebody manhandled this headliner before. It's not terrible but would like to repair with some foam glue of some kind? Any ideas?

20200229_133024.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given the bug I resorted to more of my backyard mechanic work lol I just ordered headliner material and the glue. It's just so hard to get anything done with this stupid virus spoof / scare / mayhem.

I had to compramise as the Surcolor Brand headliner material which matches perfectly didn't come in anything wider than 60" so I went for extra wide 67" 2005XXW Medium Gray at AlBrightsSupply.com it's the closest I could find and is 67" wide. I ordered 4 yards (headliner is 3 yards long but I need extra to do sunroof door and if possible the visors.

I also ordered 2, 18oz cans of the 3M headliner glue - 38808 from Amazon. They told me it would take 1.5 cans at AlBrights, but they don't sell the 3M stuff... And I don't want to skimp on glue I know 3M makes top notch stuff.

I disassembled one of the visors already. I have extras to play with from the junkyard. Including two perfectly functioning ones. Hopefully I can figure that out too. If not I'll drop those off at the shop after this bug scare blows over.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Given the bug I resorted to more of my backyard mechanic work lol I just ordered headliner material and the glue. It's just so hard to get anything done with this stupid virus spoof / scare / mayhem.

I had to compramise as the Surcolor Brand headliner material which matches perfectly didn't come in anything wider than 60" so I went for extra wide 67" 2005XXW Medium Gray at AlBrightsSupply.com it's the closest I could find and is 67" wide. I ordered 4 yards (headliner is 3 yards long but I need extra to do sunroof door and if possible the visors.

I also ordered 2, 18oz cans of the 3M headliner glue - 38808 from Amazon. They told me it would take 1.5 cans at AlBrights, but they don't sell the 3M stuff... And I don't want to skimp on glue I know 3M makes top notch stuff.

I disassembled one of the visors already. I have extras to play with from the junkyard. Including two perfectly functioning ones. Hopefully I can figure that out too. If not I'll drop those off at the shop after this bug scare blows over.
Make sure you get ALL of the old foam off the board, spray both the board and the back of the material, let it tack up--make sure it's right where you want it to be, then lay it down. Make sure you do it in manageable sections. You don't want to mess it up. Once it's down, it's down. You won't be able to rearrange it if it's crooked or has wrinkles/bubbles in it. Make sure you have a nice flat surface to work on. Good luck.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get ALL of the old foam off the board, spray both the board and the back of the material, let it tack up--make sure it's right where you want it to be, then lay it down. Make sure you do it in manageable sections. You don't want to mess it up. Once it's down, it's down. You won't be able to rearrange it if it's crooked or has wrinkles/bubbles in it. Make sure you have a nice flat surface to work on. Good luck.
what did you use to press it on? Just your hand or did you have a shower squeegy ot something to that effect?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin Case