Reduced speed, shut off, stuck in Mexico

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlnelsonroca

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! Driving on the highway the error messages started going nuts, brakes, etc. Then the car would barely accelerate, 15 mph max, then total shut down. We waited an hour or so and everything normal again for ten minutes, with a repeat of all of the above. We found a leak in the transmission radiator, and a lot of oil all over the bottom and back of the car, and we fixed it, but still the same results. Finally it won't even turn over any more, and we had it towed to my home. Many of the codes seem to be related to an oil sensor, i.e. P0521, U1815, U1817, U1818, U1820, U1842, and U1843. The others are P0AC4, C126C, and P06AF. I've looked on the web for a few hours, but nothing seems concrete. The GMC dealer six hours form us says that they've never seen one of these, and he doesn't know what to do with it, and doesn't want to try to find out. So I'm really hoping that some of you will be able to give us enough of a diagnosis to be able to know what to do next. We have this beautiful car here, and right now it's just an expensive paperweight! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a really long shit and idk what year your truck is but check the grounds on the back of the heads. I had one of 3 loose and it caused the fuel pump to not kick on, head lights to act crazy, brake messages pop up randomly and multiple different codes show up. Tightened the ground and all was fixed. It's free to check at least.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like you have a Hybrid based on your codes. Maybe some folks with Hybrids can jump in here and offer some suggestions. @BG1988

You said you had oil all over the underside of the car. I am assuming when you said you got that you checked the oil level and transmission fluid level and made sure they were at correct levels.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! Driving on the highway the error messages started going nuts, brakes, etc. Then the car would barely accelerate, 15 mph max, then total shut down. We waited an hour or so and everything normal again for ten minutes, with a repeat of all of the above. We found a leak in the transmission radiator, and a lot of oil all over the bottom and back of the car, and we fixed it, but still the same results. Finally it won't even turn over any more, and we had it towed to my home. Many of the codes seem to be related to an oil sensor, i.e. P0521, U1815, U1817, U1818, U1820, U1842, and U1843. The others are P0AC4, C126C, and P06AF. I've looked on the web for a few hours, but nothing seems concrete. The GMC dealer six hours form us says that they've never seen one of these, and he doesn't know what to do with it, and doesn't want to try to find out. So I'm really hoping that some of you will be able to give us enough of a diagnosis to be able to know what to do next. We have this beautiful car here, and right now it's just an expensive paperweight! Your help is greatly appreciated.
usually when you get a bunch of random crazy codes like that all at the same time then it's electrical, check your battery, battery cables, grounds. even if they look ok clean them up with a wire brush or sandpaper or something and make sure everything is tight.
**but on the same token oil at the back is not a good sign

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How old is your battery? Not your Hybrid one, the main one under the hood? How do the cables and connections look? The only thing all these codes have in common is that there is/was some kind of electrical problem. I reckon that a new battery will get you back on the road.

You also mentioned being in Mexico and having recently sprung a leak, check the grill for a bullet hole or two! if a round went in there and bounced around, it could have wreaked havoc on your electrical system.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

electrical issue go get a new battery typical if you get a bunch of U18xx codes at once

Your CANBUS has A failure to communicate
or someone or something cut your canbus data line
your dead battery possibly saved your transmission wont know tell you replace it.

Yes there is Dealer ships in mexico they sell chevys over there

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe someone tried to steal something(the front bumper? and damaged the transmission line) hybrid in mexico is one of a kind if you do need parts you will pay big $$$ to have it imported or have it towed 600 miles (be careful as they might try and stash drugs onto it) i would watch it being repaired if you have it done at a mom or pop place...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9