Red with black stripe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what this used to power on the SSV’s or PPV’s? My truck is an SSV, trying to trace wires that used to control the police equipment. Looking to install some additional lighting up front of the truck. Fog lights maybe a light bar.
Still have the hide a light wiring up behind the grill.

Rather reuse the wiring that’s been already run into the truck VS additional wiring for no reason.

7FA3E87E-119F-4330-B35D-41D9F29FD839.jpeg

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I thought one of y’all would know what the hell this goes to. It runs into the main harness loom.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Anyone know what this used to power on the SSV’s or PPV’s? My truck is an SSV, trying to trace wires that used to control the police equipment. Looking to install some additional lighting up front of the truck. Fog lights maybe a light bar.
Still have the hide a light wiring up behind the grill.

Rather reuse the wiring that’s been already run into the truck VS additional wiring for no reason.

View attachment 255032

That looks like one of the two wires that get hooked to the two posts on the front of your fuse box under the hood.

The two posts are different diameters and the two wires have different sized lugs on them that correspond to the posts size.

One wire is for the "hotel" power for your trailer and provides 12V to one of the pins on your 7 way harness out back. The other wire is to provide 12V power to an aftermarket trailer brake controller that would mount under the dash. There should be 4 wires tucked up under the driver side of the dash that are blunt cut.

The wire you posted a picture of is one of these two wires. The other wire should break out of the harness between the fuse box and the driver side fender.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like one of the two wires that get hooked to the two posts on the front of your fuse box under the hood.

The two posts are different diameters and the two wires have different sized lugs on them that correspond to the posts size.

One wire is for the "hotel" power for your trailer and provides 12V to one of the pins on your 7 way harness out back. The other wire is to provide 12V power to an aftermarket trailer brake controller that would mount under the dash. There should be 4 wires tucked up under the driver side of the dash that are blunt cut.

The wire you posted a picture of is one of these two wires. The other wire should break out of the harness between the fuse box and the driver side fender.

Hope this helps.

Ok, understand what you are referring to as the trailer brake setup.

That said, Why would it be just wrapped up like that? I’m wondering if the PD used it for something to power but have to figure out somehow what and if they did.

I do not have a brake controller in the truck and do not see any signs of one being mounted. The wires still have the blunt ends on them.

I have seen a few of these truck come with the controller built into the lower dash panel , looking to see if I can find one in black.

Thanks again for the info appreciate it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Ok, understand what you are referring to as the trailer brake setup.

That said, Why would it be just wrapped up like that? I’m wondering if the PD used it for something to power but have to figure out somehow what and if they did.

I do not have a brake controller in the truck and do not see any signs of one being mounted. The wires still have the blunt ends on them.

I have seen a few of these truck come with the controller built into the lower dash panel , looking to see if I can find one in black.

Thanks again for the info appreciate it.

All of these trucks come from the factory with those two wires wrapped up like that.

They only get hooked up if they are used. GM just prewired them in case someone wants them. Mine was the same way. I hooked up both wires myself.

Swapping to the built in trailer brake controller is not as simple as just swapping panels. From what I have seen the juice isn't worth the squeeze... in other words the amount of time and money it takes to convert it over, what with all the different wiring harnesses and modules and programming and whatnot, you would be better off buying a truck that already had it. Just FYI.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep