Reconfiguring Instrument cluster with Tech2 and TIS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dszx13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tech knows what he's doing he can look at the vehicles exact mileage through the bcm

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
If the tech knows what he's doing he can look at the vehicles exact mileage through the bcm

I've heard it's in the ABS somewhere too. But digital dash solutions wouldn't have the truck, just the cluster. Isn't there a different dealer you could try, @Bigbeardenali1992?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard it's in the ABS somewhere too. But digital dash solutions wouldn't have the truck, just the cluster. Isn't there a different dealer you could try, @Bigbeardenali1992?
Yeah I could try a different dealer but it’s a gamble as to whether or not they’ll be able to do it. I fear another dealer will just tell me the same thing once I get there and I’m not spending that cash again. Lol

dszx13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally brought the tech 2 home from work. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to search for a way but I couldn't find it. Only data, dtc, and calibrations. Will have to try it with mdi after work one day

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is getting old, but I recently stumbled onto some new information about how to activate the trans temp gauge. It appears there is another eeprom on the the cluster circuit board that actually contains the mileage and engine hours values. I found a memory dump of this and it does not have much storage, only 256 bytes, so this is not where the cluster software is stored. What I found was a video of a guy converting a cluster to add the gauge and he updated the software through the cluster connector, but activated the gauge by reprogramming the eeprom with the memory contents from a 2500. He did this by connecting directly to the eeprom on the circuit board. He then reloaded the correct mileage with a Tech2. Apparently, you are only offered the ability to change the mileage if the cluster is currently at 0 miles.

This might be easy to do if you knew the exact format of the memory contents, and which bytes needed to be changed. I suspect it is only one byte that defines whether there is a trans temp gauge, but there is probably a checksum as well that would need to be recalculated. This guy did not try edit the memory, he just replaced it with the full contents from another cluster with 0 miles and 0 hours.

This is the eeprom:
upload_2019-2-4_9-54-8.png

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use your TYF search fu and you may come up with something like this:

HansJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use your TYF search fu and you may come up with something like this:

Lol. Thanks @Fless. This is what happens when I stay up till 4am randomly scrolling thru posts on TYF lol. Appreciate it. I need to stop bumping old threads. But sometimes it helps!