Recommended Yukon configuration for family of 5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAbul

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just joined the forum. I'm looking to buy a Yukon, probably an AT4, and I'm looking for input on the 2nd row captain's chair vs bench seats. We're a family of 5 with a dog and I plan on doing lots of road trips. I like the convenience of captain's chairs for daily use but I know that we'll lose cargo space if I can't have my 3 kids sitting shoulder to shoulder. What are your experiences and recommendations? Thanks.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We at 1st wanted bench seats for sure for some of the same reasons, but were quickly awoken by reality of availability and ordering constraints. Benches are rare birds and benches with Duramaxes are even rarer. Also practically all benches being built weren't Denali's but SLT's....
But, hey, you need what you need. The question is how long you are willing to wait or how far you are willing to travel to find one...

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just buy an XL and you won’t have to worry at all and then you can get the space and captains chairs. We have our third one the way and if I buy anything to replace our regular Yukon, it will absolutely be a long wheel base.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^x2^^^^

I strongly that you consider the Yukon XL model versus the standard size Yukon. I've owned both, and I had 2 boys and 2 dogs. We found the standard size Yukon to be limiting in available space on long trips, particularly on long trips where taking gear is necessary, such as camping.

Regarding 3 kids sitting shoulder to shoulder on long trips, that did not work out so well for us with only 2 kids. They would start by one teasing the other and escalate from there into near total pandemonium. Maybe, we were different, but I don't think so, as me and my sister were the same when we were young. The only difference back then was that when we acted up, my father's arm was long enough to reach us from his driver's seat.

You can also store gear between the captains chairs, when needed. I have my subwoofer located between the captains chairs, but I could stow gear on top of it, if necessary.

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
We did 1000+ miles road trip this summer in our Denali with captain’s chairs. Two kids (middle and high schoolers) and a Doberman pup 75 lbs. this was a first long trip with the pup, we initially started by folding down the 3rd row and making an open space for her to lie down. Pup didn’t liked it at all, kept barking continuously to the point where we pulled over and rearranged the seats. Pulled up the third row and let her sit there. She eventually settled in the gap between the captain’s chairs and was a happy camper for rest of the time (4 days). With 3 kids, I see no reason why such a setup would not work.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my second long wheel base Yukon/Suburban. Both custom ordered with second row bench. 3 Kids never complained about not having captains chairs. Side benefit, no arguing as they grew up about who would get the captains chairs! The main reason for my extra seating was to include local family on day trips, XL made extra storage a non issue.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just joined the forum. I'm looking to buy a Yukon, probably an AT4, and I'm looking for input on the 2nd row captain's chair vs bench seats. We're a family of 5 with a dog and I plan on doing lots of road trips. I like the convenience of captain's chairs for daily use but I know that we'll lose cargo space if I can't have my 3 kids sitting shoulder to shoulder. What are your experiences and recommendations? Thanks.
Captain's chairs for our family of 5 and we always get the long wheelbase vehicles. Sometimes the kids would fold up the 2nd row captain's chairs and "camp out" in the middle and 3rd row while watching a video. For those who run the short wheelbase trucks and do not pack light, it's funny to see them with giant luggage bags on their roofs and another in the rear hitch. The stuff on the roof kills their gas mileage. Everything fits inside of the XL, especially those new ones which are now the size of our Pontiac minivans, interior space wise.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kids played the same game on spring break trips from Illinois to Melbourne FL. Down with the middle seat and start movie night in the 3rd row.

garymyman

Reaction score
With all due respect to the comments above... there is a huge difference between the cargo capacity of prior generations and of the current gen. 16.8 cu/ft is a lot different than 24.5. The new cargo floor is much lower than last gen's. The mode of moving seats is much different than the 3rd gen's. 3rd row legroom is worlds apart. And so on. I don't think "get the long one" is as necessary as it once was.

OP: try renting one in your local area. I live in a small-ish city and was able to find a new Tahoe, Yukon, and Suburban at National Car Rental.

My $0.02 to your question is "it all depends on the ages of your kids." I have 5 year old twins and a newborn. I am ordering a bench so they can all be on the 2nd row. On road trips I can put the twins on the 3rd row - it is no longer chlostrophobic, and much easier to get into than in prior generations. Especially with the power release you'll have on the AT4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26