Recommendation on portable toolbox/chest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwiztidPixel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am, by the very definition, a parking lot mechanic. I live in a second floor apartment, all of my work on my vehicles is done in the parking lot.

This means carrying my jack stands and jack up and down the stairs each time, as well as my torque wrenches, cordless tools etc.

As far as hand tools, I try as best I can to gather what I'll need for the task. It never fails, I'll end up going up and down the stairs a few times to get something that slipped my mind or wasn't expected.

This is annoying when I'm in the thick of it.

Here is my current tool encapsulating device:
IMG_20171203_035947.jpg

It's fine, the top is portable which is awesome. Except it's heavy as shit.

Within this top half 98% of my tools.

What I seek is a wheeled, portable toolbox that I can get up and down stairs a bit easier. Something that is compartmentalized so that I don't have to sift through a pile of metal when I need something.

Suggestions?

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ridgid has a nice one, its their pro series the total set is like $140 but the base can be bought for $60 with wheels and handle and you can build up from there. The husky one for $75 isn't a bad choice either

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation where I have to basically kill myself to cary heavy tools around when working on the truck from my building to the parking lot...I use a box similar to what @swathdiver mentioned along with this Safco SAF4049 Stow-Away Hand Truck when I need to carry lots of tools...it makes my life a lot easier

I also use it to carry my big heavy tool box around Manhattan when I go to a new job...just don't run over anyones feet with it...they tend to get mad :angels2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwiztidPixel

TwiztidPixel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what I use for my portable mess, its about 60lbs with pretty much everything needed but it has a shoulder strap and good handles, seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

husky.jpg

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I had as my first tool chest. http://m.sears.com/craftsman-4-drawer-portable-tool-chest/p-00935424000P
I used to live in an apartment, so I lugged this thing in and out when I needed it. It's a GREAT tool chest and I love that it has 4 actual drawers just like a stationary tool chest. The bad thing is that when this thing is FULL of tools, it gets really heavy. But being that you have an SUV, why can't you just leave it in the back of your truck and toss a blanket over it or something?

prod_1892226012.jpeg

OP
OP
TwiztidPixel

TwiztidPixel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I had as my first tool chest. http://m.sears.com/craftsman-4-drawer-portable-tool-chest/p-00935424000P
I used to live in an apartment, so I lugged this thing in and out when I needed it. It's a GREAT tool chest and I love that it has 4 actual drawers just like a stationary tool chest. The bad thing is that when this thing is FULL of tools, it gets really heavy. But being that you have an SUV, why can't you just leave it in the back of your truck and toss a blanket over it or something?

My current box has handles on the sides, it is technically portable. For a little while I did keep it in my trunk (I do have the privacy cover or whatever it's called that hides the contents of the trunk) but it just made me nervous. I live in a great neighborhood but you just never know. While working on my truck my hatch would be open and the toolbox would be in plain sight. Also all the rattling gets old after a while.

My current situation isn't the end of the world or anything, I was just curious and looking into a way to improve it.

OP
OP
TwiztidPixel

TwiztidPixel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little update, I saw this at Lowe's today on sale for $58 and picked it up. We'll see how it works out, but this is pretty much exactly what I wanted. ac34d1a4ee31b3e1b19f212cb08d0782.jpg

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using Tapatalk

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty sweet. Update us in a month or two and let us know how it's holding up after you fill it with about a hundred pounds of tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons