Recommendation for a Transfer Case Remanufacturer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bsamole

Reaction score
Thanks so much to Rockola1971 and George B for your input.

I am ordering hopefully all of the needed parts in advance in order to reduced down time. I have ordered from Amazon the BK351 transfer case rebuild kit, and ACdelco 10-4017 Transfer Case Fluid.

I plan on ordering this reinforced rear case half
(C30605) from Amazon. Is this the best choice?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JCLT4WB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVOFOAFVEK8V&psc=1

Is it usually necessary to replace the clutch set since the shimming tool seems quite expensive.

Is there a preferred brand for the chain?

Are all necessary gaskets included in the BK351 kit?

Thanks for sharing you knowledge!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The case you linked will do but dont forget to get the pump rub plate. https://www.amazon.com/Process-Transfer-Case-Pump-Plate/dp/B00BYF8KO8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Q60M6CRTF1G6&keywords=np246+pump+rub+kit&qid=1583114183&s=automotive&sprefix=np246+pump,automotive,172&sr=1-1 Shop around. Something along the lines of this for the chain https://www.amazon.com/NP246-Transf...p246+chain&qid=1583114415&s=automotive&sr=1-1

As far as the clutches go if yours has auto 4wd just toss a new set in there and dont worry about the shimming. Just install all the factory shims back in and be done with it. When you see how they go together in the drum and the factory play you will see what I mean. Its nothing to worry about.

There is only two gaskets on a NP 246 TCase. The one that is at the middle where the case halves meet. You can use RTV if you want. Bearing and seal kit might have it in there and the one at the very front where tranny bolts up. That one is shown in the BK351 kit, its the round gasket.

OP
OP
B

bsamole

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Mine does have auto 4wd so I will do as you suggested and use the factory shims. I will also check out the offerings from RockAuto and other sources.

OP
OP
B

bsamole

Reaction score
I split the case and discovered the oil filter was completely clogged solid on both sides, the magnetic washer was also clogged and difficult to remove, 13 loose ball bearings and part of split ring loose in the case, another bearing had 13 ball bearings in the race without any metal separators and the oil pump wear clip is missing.

Is this type of damage normal?

Should I continue with the rebuild?

If so

How to test the planetary assembly it appears okay but I have never looked at one before?

Is the oil pump wear clip necessary since I have a pump rub plate to install?

Do I grease the bearings or splash some transfer case oil on them?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were 13 ball bearings rolling around in your case? If so it sounds like your case was starved of fluid. (leak). What was its level at when you drained it? Planetary assembly in a Tcase? They are in the rear of a transmission, not a Tcase. Yes the clip is necessary. Its what probably ground up and attached to the magnet or in your clogged filter. Inspect all gear teeth for broken or chipped teeth. Replace gear if any are. Used good hard parts are all over ebay and are cheap enough. Nothing wrong with using used hard parts for a Tcase.

OP
OP
B

bsamole

Reaction score
There was oil in the case with no pin holes or leakage. I agree the clip must have come loose, ground up and caused the clogged filter and lack of oil to the bearings. Especially since it appears the clip has been updated with GM89059653. I'll check for chipped or broken teeth. I gleaned the word planetary from the Autry Enterprises diagram on areds.com however other sites name it annulus gear. Thanks for all of your support. How do I lube the bearings on reinstall?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was oil in the case with no pin holes or leakage. I agree the clip must have come loose, ground up and caused the clogged filter and lack of oil to the bearings. Especially since it appears the clip has been updated with GM89059653. I'll check for chipped or broken teeth. I gleaned the word planetary from the Autry Enterprises diagram on areds.com however other sites name it annulus gear. Thanks for all of your support. How do I lube the bearings on reinstall?
Bearings will be lubed by fluid in Tcase as soon as you fill it up after installation into vehicle. They do not need to be prelubed like cam/crank bearings. Dont forget to soak clutch plates in Tcase fluid for 4hrs+ BEFORE installing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9