Recharging 2017 1234YF System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After finishing replacing the condenser on my 2017 over the weekend I was getting ready to vacuum it down and recharge. (The Freon was evacuated by the dealer)

I went to look at capacity and noticed it uses the new 1234YF refrigerant. After I got over the $44 per can cost, I did some research appears it is a little different process. Apparently it is slightly flammable as well.

So my questions are:

Can you use the standard AC manifold gauges?

People have stated it takes twice as long to fill and the threads are all left handed?

The valve caps don't indicate high or low (both light gray) on them but I assume the large line is the high pressure.

Is there any thing I am missing?

Thanks for any feed back on this.

Thanks,
Tim

Saw Kyrom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hate that you didn't get any replies. I know there are many, many owners who are in the same situation. Mine failed at 69k (out of service bulletin window). I can't find the R-1234 capacity for 2017 Tahoe vacuumed system listed anywhere online. The AC decal only list oil capacity 0.82 kg. Maybe I'm missing somewhere else. Price is still $44 can where you can find it. R-1234 does use special adapter for manifold gauges and requires different oil than R-134.

How much refrigerant did you use and any pointers/advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks,

Saw

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Saw, I ended up asking our local dealership what the replacement volume was. I trying to remember the volume exactly but it slips me now - too long ago. I would think you can google it or post another request on here and someone may have the exact volume.

I ended up buying the special connectors online. I ordered the refrigerant and special oil from Advance Auto, if I recall it only took a couple of days to arrive. I also rented/borrowed their vacuum pump to clear the system.

It was kind of a process but the air works fine now. Wish I could be of more help.
Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent