Recarpet sub boxes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Well I tried another experiment and it worked pretty damn good. I tried to figure out something to put in between the captians chairs for subs. Seems to be the I bought 1 of those pioneer shallow 8" sub boxes. The sucker fit but looked smaller then I thought which is ok. So i said woo and turned it sideways. The sucker fit. Then I got another one. Now I have 2 of them side by side with no issues with the kicker comp rt 8 in each once. I'll put pictures up when I take them. Huge win.

Anyway here is my question dalema, the boxes are black. My floors are light grey. I got light grey speaker carpet. Question is, how do I go about it? Do I try to remove the old carpet? How so? Or do I put the light gray carpet over the vlac carpet? Staple or glue? No idea. How do you guys think I should go about putting the light grey carpet on the boxes.
Thanks again everyone.

Dan O

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the existing carpet on the speaker box is glued, you are going to have to remove it by scraping it off, using whatever tools are required, such as a putty knife. If the carpet is tacked on, you should be able to find those tack nails or staples and remove them, and then peel off the existing carpet. One layer of carpet over another layer could work, but you may risk having some 'wrinkling' of the second carpet layer, when laying it and attempting to stretch it over the first layer.

I have a custom sub-woofer box, with one 10" Audiomobile sub in the down-firing position, located between my second row captains chairs, and it has a single layer of carpet, matching the existing carpet in the truck. My carpet was tacked in place using small tack nails, and two carpeted end covers were applied to both the front and rear of the box with slightly larger finishing nails, in order to hide the tack nails used for the main body carpet wrap of the box.

I had to use a few larger screws to hold the front-facing carpeted end cover in place, as my 97 lb. German Shepherd likes to sit on top of the box (see the dog hair all over the box) and look over my shoulder when driving, and when I apply the brakes, his front claws would eventually 'pry' the carpeted end cover away from the rest of the box. Since the front of the box is very close to the second row seats entertainment center, the larger screws are not visible.

Good luck on your project!

07 Denali Custom Sub.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
OB 04Denali

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
If the existing carpet on the speaker box is glued, you are going to have to remove it by scraping it off, using whatever tools are required, such as a putty knife. If the carpet is tacked on, you should be able to find those tack nails or staples and remove them, and then peel off the existing carpet. One layer of carpet over another layer could work, but you may risk having some 'wrinkling' of the second carpet layer, when laying it and attempting to stretch it over the first layer.

I have a custom sub-woofer box, with one 10" Audiomobile sub in the down-firing position, located between my second row captains chairs, and it has a single layer of carpet, matching the existing carpet in the truck. My carpet was tacked in place using small tack nails, and two carpeted end covers were applied to both the front and rear of the box with slightly larger tack nails, in order to hide the tack nails used for the main body carpet wrap of the box.

I had to use a few larger screws to hold the front-facing carpeted end cover in place, as my 97 lb. German Shepherd likes to sit on top of the box (see the dog hair all over the box) and look over my shoulder when driving, and when I apply the brakes, his front claws would eventually 'pry' the carpeted end cover away from the rest of the box. Since the front of the box is very close to the second row seats entertainment center, the larger screws are not visible.

Good luck on your project!

View attachment 225143
Ok thanks a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts