Rebuild CV on front axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm back to this post lol What brand of replacement CV(s) is best?

I am getting a clunk when I hit bumps, and when I switch from drive to reverse. I've replaced a bunch of visibly bad parts. The output shafts / axles on front diff needed new bearings and seals (done), the axle tube end play was out of spec (done - installed more spacers), the sway bar links were shot (done), the driver side lower shock bushing was shot (done)... and a handful of other misc parts.

I still got a clunk although markedly better when complete with these items. So I put the truck in 4wd and removed the driveshaft from front diff and checked the pinion yoke backlash (I know you're supposed to check at the ring gear). I got 0.017" or 0.0085 which seems reasonable although I'm not sure there's a spec for that though.

However, there was a good 1/8th turn of slop in pinion after the ring gear backlash was taken up. FYI can feel pinion tapping ring gear after backlash is taken up / resistance changes. I was baffled thinking it was warn spider gears, basically guessing without opening the case. I took it for a test drive without the front drive shaft. It no longer clunks from forward to reverse. However is some clunking as front suspension exercises over bumps.

I went back under and started playing with the pinion yoke again and 4wd engaged. Out of the corner of my eye I caught the CV joints moving.

The upper elbow on my CV joints has play in it. The boots look like new. However, there's slop in the upper elbow. I am thinking they are truly warn out. They function but LOTS of play in that elbow. The bezel connection to the diff wiggles when pinion is turned, however rest of axle has no play.

FYI Guy I bought this truck from was avid 4 wheeler. I defiantly rescued this truck from scrap heap. It was lifted in front (incorrectly) and abused after. Only tranny & motor were ever serviced in 220k miles. The front diff looked like maybe was changed a time or two. Rear diff exploded on me and I had to replace it, prob never serviced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288