Rear wiper and rear defroster not working... any connection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my rear wiper doesn’t work (you can hear the motor clicking but the arm never moves) and my rear defroster isn’t working. Any possible connection to the two?

I’ve checked some fuses, all seem ok.

I checked the wiring to the hatch, no burns/frays.

The defroster tabs are still firm on the glass.

Anything I’m missing before I go replacing the wiper motor??

Thanks,
Cyrus

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check the fuses well?
either that or the wires inbetween hatch and body have a problem

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way those 2 high power draw pieces would be on the same fuse/circuit. On the rear defrost pull the connectors on the rear defrost tabs and check for power (obviously with button pushed in and lit up lol) On the rear wiper lets pull the cover off the motor shaft and observe the actual motor shaft to see if it is turning and if maybe the wiper arm base has stripped out or bolt has come lose and it is has backed off the tapered splined shaft.....

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the help fellas. I checked the hatch wiring again and I have no frayed wires. When I turn on the rear wiper, I will intermittently hear some noise from the wiper motor (like it's stuck) but there is no movement at all. Sometimes no noise at all. Broken gear in the motor? I guess the next step is to buy a motor and replace.

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That means the motor is getting power so you can rule that out. Motor isn’t that expensive and a small PITA to put on. Go ahead and pair the wiper arm and get a new blade while you’re in there.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the rear glass hatch open when you push the button on the tailgate? They are interconnected somehow, I always see the wiper motor move when I open the glass.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you most likely have a short in there. Remove the inside panel and I’m guessing you’ll find the problem. Opening the glass or rear lift gate shouldn’t make the wiper move

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you most likely have a short in there. Remove the inside panel and I’m guessing you’ll find the problem. Opening the glass or rear lift gate shouldn’t make the wiper move

I'm sorry I didn't mean the wiper arm itself moved, just looks like the wiper motor mount slowly wobbles when you open the glass. I was assuming the motor itself somehow performs both the functions?