Rear wheel play in and out - source of clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Trying again but it looks like 3 YouTube videos and a pic worked fine. Can anyone tell me what this noise is?! I’m guessing it shouldnt sound like a screeching when I turn the driveshaft.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the screetching is normal in rwd, what isnt is the play on the crosspin, I'm watching on a bad quality phone so I couldn't tell if the bolt was on or off.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screeching sounds like a non-issue. Clunking sounds like a bad diff. If we could get a vid of the cross pin in it's bore and the spider gears while rocking the drive shaft that would help.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
In the video above where I push on the center pin, it’s bolt is IN. So you guys think there should be no play in that pin? Sounds like the bore itself would be the problem then? If so, a new diff would be needed right? If that’s the case, I’ll probably drive it till it kills itself

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Yukon duragrip on Amazon for like $250 and got a $50 rebate from Yukon. With a $20 Amazon dial indicator it was cheap and easy diy.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take it out and inspect if there is wear on the pin hole it self, or the carrier, hell could even be the bolt too, the pin it self is cheap, same for the bolt. Bolt is always replaced when you take them out because they tend to snap once in a while. I would say that is the cause of the clunk, as they fit pretty tight, might as well take the c clips out as well.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
0A60F9AD-EF7B-4A2F-8600-F08EA8FB17D7.jpeg 376CBAA2-D1F6-4BB7-B4D6-0418ECEBCB1E.jpeg I took it out. The pin looked fine to me. Replaced c clips too. Bolt coming from amazon sunday

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty interesting, I would say it does look fine as far as wear but I don't like the amount of play it seemed to have in the video, normally the bolt should be able to hold it in place, without up and down movement. I would like to see how the new one fits in place, what did the bolt look like out of it?

This is normally what I expect in a ford, and most that slide out but you can still feel a tight fit. The one in the vid was pretty tight.
SKIP TO 2:18

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your cross pin looks like it wore out. The bolt hole looks egg shaped that is where the play is coming from when you push on it. As far as the axle clunk probably c clips. With that much wear I would check backlash with a dial indicator. Also disconnect the driveshaft from the yoke and check for play in the pinion bearing as they are typically the first to go. If any play ie movement is found I would buy a master rebuild kit along with a true trac or ls or locker of your choice and rebuild it. If the bearings are good then just slap a new pin clips and bolt in and be on your way. I didn't see significant wear on the ring gear however i could not get a close look at the spider and side gears though

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your cross pin looks like it wore out. The bolt hole looks egg shaped that is where the play is coming from when you push on it. As far as the axle clunk probably c clips. With that much wear I would check backlash with a dial indicator. Also disconnect the driveshaft from the yoke and check for play in the pinion bearing as they are typically the first to go. If any play ie movement is found I would buy a master rebuild kit along with a true trac or ls or locker of your choice and rebuild it. If the bearings are good then just slap a new pin clips and bolt in and be on your way. I didn't see significant wear on the ring gear however i could not get a close look at the spider and side gears though
Good observation, at first i thought I saw it too but then i also realized the image is tilted too, hard to say without looking at the hole at a 90* angle with light passing through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9