Rear wheel play in and out - source of clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on your miles, and if your the original owner from new, the rear end may have been rebuilt before and they used the new wrong thickness clips. hard say what a used car/trucks been through before you got it.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Gonna remove the cover friday to see if gears are destroyed. If they look good, I guess on to removing the brakes to take out the c clips. Looks like if that’s the case, installing a true trac is the best option. My best guess is clutch pack are worn, which allows the axle to go in further. Got 2 packs of the dorman c clips to try anyway.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gov-loc was working fine, the c-clips were wore from age. Every corner you take puts a load on the c-clips as they are a thrust bearing of sorts. A true track will re-use your old c-clips btw.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
So replacing the c clips cured your knock noise? That’s encouraging if that’s what you mean

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the pictures c-clips you'll see that the wear is near the outer edge. This is the surface that runs against the side gear. The axle runs on the inner edge on the opposite side of the c-clip. Flip the clip and you'll have fresh thrust surfaces running on the hardened side gear and axle. This is what I did and should solve your sloppy rear.
c_clip.jpg

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Got some footage and pics after I removed the diff cover. The oil actually wasn’t black sludge, looked golden when it ran out. Maybe there wasn’t enough though...

anyway, what’s is the screeching noise when I turn the shaft? Normal?

should the center pin have play like that?

To my eye, everything looks good, no chewed up gears, no big chunks of metal anywhere.07F023FE-D46A-436E-80E9-15E9782470B2.jpeg

Good bit of metal “sand” attached to the magnet, but doesn’t seem ridiculous.

Still waiting on the c clips to arrive before I pull the axles...

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hes got 3 vids and one pic posted. at least thats what i see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh