Rear view mirror question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chr_edw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took mike apart yesterday but could not find any cracked solider. Brushed off some junk but other than that looked good. Re-assembled and still working intermittently.

What am is missing?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you reflow those solder joints? If not, take it apart and be sure to reflow them as when I did mine I didn't see anything obvious but when I did reflow them anyways the mirror has worked perfect ever since!
Try that first, there has been one guy on here that I know that even after reflowing them a few times his was still screwed up and had to buy a new mirror!

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question. I want to take the mirror out of the truck. I have the mirror with on star. There seems to be a separate cable besides the regular connector coming from the mirror to the black box attached to the windshield. Does this unplug from the back of mirror or from the black box?

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the torx screw out and the whole mirror just slid off the mount. Pretty damn easy. Anyway, reflowed
All the solder joints and put it back in. Compass and temp showing brightly now!!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the torx screw out and the whole mirror just slid off the mount. Pretty damn easy. Anyway, reflowed
All the solder joints and put it back in. Compass and temp showing brightly now!!

Awesome! So did you see a bad soldering joint or did it all look good so you just reflowed them anyway? Thanks for checking back in with your results!

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with a magnifying glass, I couldn't really see any obvious cracks in solder. I just reflowed all the larger ones. Worked fine again this morning for the drive to work.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Just thought I'd ask, didn't see anything at all wrong when I did mine but it worked like a charm after reflowing them all!

Wagnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried reflowing all my joints, which some were cracked. But my problem is in the section of wire right behind the mirror. Have no clue where I'm going to be able to find a plug/pigtail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN