Rear view mirror question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

707Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my rear view mirror temp/compass display seems to go out after a short period of driving. It only happens when there's sun outside. I'm thinking the mirror might be overheating and shutting off as I've noticed a few times the whole mirror starts to flash on and off. I've checked the connection to make sure its secure, which looks good. Has anybody heard of a fix or do I just look at replacing the mirror?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, I just did the fix for mine not too long ago and I followed this thread from another site (sorry, wish there was one from this site):

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=9434&st=0&gopid=520415&#entry520415

I've driven my denali quite a few times since the fix and haven't had a single problem at all where as before it would mess up at least once every trip I took in the truck! If you do it, take some pics and make a How To thread on here if you could, I had forgotten to take pics when I did mine!

OP
OP
707Tahoe

707Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! It looks like there's a picture on the thread that I can't access. Are you able to see the the pic of the circuit board?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the pic, the original guy had the cracked solder joint in the upper 4R3 on the right (you can barely see it in the pic) while mine was the lower 4R3 on the left. I reflowed both sides of all 3 4R3's and like I said it has worked flawless since!

Attachments

• Tahoe_mirror_solder.jpg
    Tahoe_mirror_solder.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 175
OP
OP
707Tahoe

707Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll probably pull mine apart next weekend when I have time. Then I'll take pics so they can be posted up here

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you, I'm pretty sure this fix did indeed work!! I've driven the truck quite a few times and it still works flawless!! Can't believe how easy it was to fix as well, good luck and post up any questions or results you have when you get around to doing this!

OP
OP
707Tahoe

707Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright I got everything apart and ready to solder, jus wanna check what type of solder did you use? The basic auto store or something from the electronics store?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to necessarily add any solder, all you need to do is touch the solder gun on the solder joint to heat it up and melt it up a little, that will fix the break in the solder!! But I did add a bit of solder to all 6 of my joints, you don't need to add much if you do that!!

OP
OP
707Tahoe

707Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool thanks for all the info! Jus finished it up and gonna take it for a drive to see if it holds. Hopefully I did it right, then I'll post up my pics

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as when you touched the solder that you saw it basically puddle up like liquid to all the joints, you should have done it right! Let me know what your results are!! By the way, did you see any of them with a slight crack in the solder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224