Rear Suspension Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to swap my rear diff. I actually had to do it twice so I know my way around back there. While installing everything, I noticed that the rear suspension parts don't really articulate. It's more like they just twist the bushings for articulation. Is that right? I wonder if installing something like Spohn control arms with their Del-Sphere bushings would allow for better articulation and if it would benefit the ride. I think it would but it's quite a price to pay for all of it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why it is stated everywhere to leave the bolts loose on control arms and such until the vehicle is resting on the ground at ride height, then torque them to spec. This "centers" them at ride height but I'm sure they still rotate some at the farther ends of the suspensions range of travel.

I've heard the Spohn arms are noisy and transfer more road feel. Makes sense since the bushings are much more solid than the OEM rubber ones. I wouldn't get them unless you need the free articulation (plan on doing some off-roading/crawling?) or adjustment capabilities. I'll need to center my axle and possibly adjust pinion angle when I drop mine 4" or 5". I plan to use new OEM lower control arms that I'll extend to get the axle where I want it and make adjustable uppers to match that extended length while giving me pinion adjustability. The bottom will have the stock rubber bushings and the uppers will be polyurethane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98