Rear spring selection help needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RMBX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a 2007 Denali AWD Z55/ G69. Shocks are bad and I intend on doing the Auto Ride/ Auto Level delete. Based on everything I read here, I believe the Bilstein 4600 Shocks are what I want. My intention is to keep the factory ride height and hopefully a nice smooth ride! My question is, what rear springs do you recommend to keep factory height? Thanks!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to replace your springs? Just replace the shocks. Keep the factory springs and you'll keep your factory height and it should ride better.

OP
OP
RMBX

RMBX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks iamdub, The Arnott kits come with rear springs supposedly because the Z55/G69 springs are softer and will sag. I didn't see matching springs for the Bilstein's, thought I would check with you all for ideas.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks iamdub, The Arnott kits come with rear springs supposedly because the Z55/G69 springs are softer and will sag. I didn't see matching springs for the Bilstein's, thought I would check with you all for ideas.

They are a little softer, but changing the shocks wouldn't cause sag. If your ALC system isn't currently operational, then the air bellows aren't doing anything and the coil springs are already supporting all the weight. So, with new shocks or even no shocks, the rear will sit just as it does now. Shocks don't support weight, they just dampen movement. The air bellows on the ALC shocks DO support weight to supplement the coils, but that's not the shock portion. They're just air springs located on the shocks for convenient packaging.

If your ALC system is currently operational, then the rear is being lifted about 1/2" by the air system. Therefore, it will sit about 1/2" lower with those shocks removed, unless you install firmer springs.

Some people probably feel it's too soft without the air support.

OP
OP
RMBX

RMBX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for your input!
swathdiver, Yes I do want to keep it at a stock level height. I did find an AcDelco number from another post; 45H2164. I just don't want more than factory rake.
iamdub, Maybe I should just go with the shocks first and see how it looks? Anyone do this exact mod on a short wheel base Denali?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for your input!
swathdiver, Yes I do want to keep it at a stock level height. I did find an AcDelco number from another post; 45H2164. I just don't want more than factory rake.
iamdub, Maybe I should just go with the shocks first and see how it looks? Anyone do this exact mod on a short wheel base Denali?

Does your ALC system work?

OP
OP
RMBX

RMBX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, the shock air bladders are torn and the pump didn't come on. I've been looking at the Air Lift 1000 system to use with the stock springs. What do you guys think about that?

OP
OP
RMBX

RMBX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I meant to say the Air Lift along with the Bilstein's and resistors. I do tow a trailer. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan