Rear shock replacement, plug and play?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the compressor running more frequent than usual. Dearlership offered to replace the left rear auto ride shock for $300 plus. Rock auto will have it at my house next Monday. I could not locate any video of the procedure for K2XX. Tell me it isn’t too bad.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the compressor running more frequent than usual. Dearlership offered to replace the left rear auto ride shock for $300 plus. Rock auto will have it at my house next Monday. I could not locate any video of the procedure for K2XX. Tell me it isn’t too bad.

I've never done it on a K2XX but I did replace all of them on the avalanche. Based off everything else I've noticed, they are very similar. IIRC, when I did the rears on the avalanche, I somehow bumped a plug and it came loose. Started it after the install and had "service suspension" light on. Quick google and saw that a lot of guys had done the same thing. Climbed back under and sure enough, it was unplugged. Just pointing that out, in case that happens to you. I believe it was on the drivers side.

Another thing. I replaced the shocks and compressor because it was coming on a lot more than normal. That didn't change anything. After more research, I found the line that runs to the passenger side (inside a harness), had a pin hole and that was causing all of my issues. Being as the dealer diagnosed your shock as bad, I'm sure that's the issue. Good luck on the swap!

OP
OP
RST Dana

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never done it on a K2XX but I did replace all of them on the avalanche. Based off everything else I've noticed, they are very similar. IIRC, when I did the rears on the avalanche, I somehow bumped a plug and it came loose. Started it after the install and had "service suspension" light on. Quick google and saw that a lot of guys had done the same thing. Climbed back under and sure enough, it was unplugged. Just pointing that out, in case that happens to you. I believe it was on the drivers side.

Another thing. I replaced the shocks and compressor because it was coming on a lot more than normal. That didn't change anything. After more research, I found the line that runs to the passenger side (inside a harness), had a pin hole and that was causing all of my issues. Being as the dealer diagnosed your shock as bad, I'm sure that's the issue. Good luck on the swap!
Thank you I will keep the line idea in mind. Since it is not a constant issue, I could see where the line could be the culprit.

OP
OP
RST Dana

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if I had a post about how I stuffed a 402 rat into a 66 Chevy 2 back in the 70’d I would have spiked more responses.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you I will keep the line idea in mind. Since it is not a constant issue, I could see where the line could be the culprit.

It should just be a simple bolt at the top and bolt at the bottom. Pop the retainer clip off the air line and pull it off the shock. Replace shock and reattach airline. 20 min job

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not tough at all. If you are mechanically inclined with opposing thumbs whole thing takes about 1hr for both.

OP
OP
RST Dana

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not tough at all. If you are mechanically inclined with opposing thumbs whole thing takes about 1hr for both.
I’m only doing the left this week. I’ll post pics after I’m done. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094