Rear Park Assist .... '06 Suburban LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shorelocal

Reaction score
I'm stumped .... it appears as though my '06 Suburban LTZ is wired and configured for rear parking assist (RPA) sensors but is missing the necessary module(s). I've checked the RPO codes and don't see anything obvious that relates to RPA. I've pulled the passenger side rear interior trunk panel and the pics below show what I uncovered ... basically it's a nest of terminated wires with nothing to plug into.

Anyone else experienced this? Is enabling RPA as simple as sourcing the "brain" module and plugging it in?

Bumper sensor ... there are four of these across the width of the rear bumper. They look factory to me.
sensor.JPG

Rear display (for distance?) ... this is mounted on the ceiling at the back edge of the headliner where it meets the tailgate. The wiring routes along the headliner then down behind the D panel trim. Again, looks factory.
display.JPG

This is where the wiring from underneath the vehicle for the senors enters the interior ... rear passenger side, behind the trunk panel.
entry point.JPG

There is a speaker with a volume dial stuck to the top of a module.
other module.JPG

speaker.JPG

continued on next post due to image limitations.

OP
OP
S

shorelocal

Reaction score
And here are all the terminated wires from behind the trunk trim panel with nothing to plug into:
wires all.JPG

Closeup of the sensor wires and what I believe is the diagnostic plug
sensors and diag plug.JPG

BTW ... there is no button on the dash to enable/disable the parking assist feature. I believe the Cadillac ESVs of this year have a button.

Would really love to get this working. Can anyone offer some advice or direction?

Thanks.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Could it possibly be aftermarket, and someone partially removed it? Was it a private sale or dealer sold it to you?

OP
OP
S

shorelocal

Reaction score
It was bought from a dealer, but not a GM dealer. The 'burb was an ex-company vehicle and everything else is basically stock.

In my eyes, would be strange to remove a feature like this.

One more image ... here's a closeup of the four wire harness ... red wire assume is power, black is attached to a ground under the carpet and the other two wires route to the speaker.
main wire.JPG

I've tried searching wiring diagrams, etc and it appears to be something GM would have included in some models. Escalade ESV comes to mind.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like an aftermarket setup. I don't have an ltz but I do have the factory park assist on my 2011 ls. It has a button to turn it on and off. I do not have that gauge assy that you show. Mine just beeps loader and faster as you get closer to am object and then a solid tone when you are too close or about to hot said object.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
For me, that little speaker confirms it's aftermarket. Possibly prior owner took the brains to it, simply by unplugging it leaving the wires behind.

OP
OP
S

shorelocal

Reaction score
Looking more and more like you guys are right ... probably aftermarket. If it is, it's a super clean install.

I'm going to try calling the dealer who originally sold this unit back in '06 ... maybe someone remembers offering aftermarket options like this ... it's a longshot, but nothing to lose by making the call.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Looking more and more like you guys are right ... probably aftermarket. If it is, it's a super clean install.

I'm going to try calling the dealer who originally sold this unit back in '06 ... maybe someone remembers offering aftermarket options like this ... it's a longshot, but nothing to lose by making the call.
Maybe you can look for some kind of mark or brand on the parts, you might be able to track the manufacturer down--if they're not out of business--and buy the module(s) to make it operational.

OP
OP
S

shorelocal

Reaction score
Update: Definitely not stock .. took a closer look at the rear of the bumper sensors and they look to be epoxied/siliconed in there.
back_of_sensor.JPG

Thanks for all your guidance / insight everyone ... much appreciated.

Now to try and figure out what the control module is and who makes it and if it's still available.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01