Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malones99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my RMS (rear Main Seal) is leaking. What are the signes of it leaking? I know you have to remove the tranny. How long did it take. I have a 99 Yukon 4x4.

Thanks in advance.:emotions122:

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Signs of it leaking is a leak closest to the bell housing. If you want, you can remove the flywheel inspection cover and see if the flywheel itself is covered in oil.

The best thing to try to do is degrease the engine on top behind the engine and underneath. Then you can get a beter idea where your leak is coming from.

98% of the time when I have seen oil leaks on these things, it has been from the lower intake.

NYrr496

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, the trans has to come off to swap the rear main seal. I agree that you should check the intake carefully.

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think that I may have the same leak. i have looked all over the intake and cant see oil there, only on the lower half of the motor. I switched to full synthetic and voila now I have an oil leak

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

just went out and removed the bell housing and no oil in there so i slightly tightened my oil pan bolts, hopefully this fixes the problem temporarily

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated, Im having the same theory of mine leaking out the rear main...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14