Rear Main Oil Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was fine. I had a tiny amount (1/2 cup) in the junction between the adapter and T-case. My T-case fluid was a nice blue.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the last bolt in, the last drop in.

I always have severe anxiety when starting the a vehicle for the first time after major surgery. Even when my dad worked on cars, when it came time to turn the engine over, I'd stand there as a 10 year old kid waiting for the whole thing to explode. Never did.

I turned the key over, had my wife looking for any fluids coming shooting out from underneath. Dry. :D

It still needs a little more transmission fluid, it's just under the full hot after a nice long drive. I did near some very slight knocking coming from the transmission pan area. I'm not sure if it was there before or not. I only hear it when standing beside the truck. It shifts fine.

All that work for "it works normally." But with all I saved doing this job on my own, think of all the beer I can afford now. :)

And my wife gets her truck back.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to do the Oil Pan Gasket again as much as I don't like removing Steering Parts, I would remove that Steering Link in a second. That Link made everything take so much longer. Working on your back upside down sucks. My Yukon I got last September is absolutely rust free from Richardson Texas. It's a RWD 4X2. Try finding one of those in the upper Midwest. I can't even wait to replace the Oil Pump Tube O-ring and the Pan gasket should almost be kinda fun no front Differential.
And your 4x2 is exactly what I have thinking of getting from TX or GA or similar. No rust. No 4wd system. I live in snow belt but hardly ever put my yukon in 4wd anyway.

Just like Scotty Kilmer says: if u don't NEED it don't spend $ on it.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And your 4x2 is exactly what I have thinking of getting from TX or GA or similar. No rust. No 4wd system. I live in snow belt but hardly ever put my yukon in 4wd anyway.

Just like Scotty Kilmer says: if u don't NEED it don't spend $ on it.
The RWD Trucks are lighter, handle better and are easier to work on.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks John,

This is another reason I believe my case has been opened before. I have over 300000km (about 190000 miles). This case probably should have sprung a leak already.

Shipping would be extraordinarily expensive to get into Canada. Thanks for the offer though!
Miles on the t-case not always the reason for the housing to have premature leaks. Mine has 295k and never leaked. I think shifting from 2-Hi into 4-hi a lot must have something to do with the leaks. I seldom used 4-Hi and never 4-Lo.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the last bolt in, the last drop in.

I always have severe anxiety when starting the a vehicle for the first time after major surgery. Even when my dad worked on cars, when it came time to turn the engine over, I'd stand there as a 10 year old kid waiting for the whole thing to explode. Never did.

I turned the key over, had my wife looking for any fluids coming shooting out from underneath. Dry. :D

It still needs a little more transmission fluid, it's just under the full hot after a nice long drive. I did near some very slight knocking coming from the transmission pan area. I'm not sure if it was there before or not. I only hear it when standing beside the truck. It shifts fine.

All that work for "it works normally." But with all I saved doing this job on my own, think of all the beer I can afford now. :)

And my wife gets her truck back.
I have been using 1/4''plywood under the truck in the driveway so I don't have oil spots all over works great. That's a lot of work to stop a oil leak. Great Job.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using 1/4''plywood under the truck in the driveway so I don't have oil spots all over works great. That's a lot of work to stop a oil leak. Great Job.

This works as long as you are not parking on a city street or in a strata. Fortunatelly, this job was just a lot of work and not too expensive. It definitely helps to have an extra helper, but I managed to do the entire job myself.

Now that I've done it once, would I do it again? As I am forgetting how much cursing I did during the job I might just take it on again. Actually, I probably did more cursing when trying to lift the transfer case back into place.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This works as long as you are not parking on a city street or in a strata. Fortunatelly, this job was just a lot of work and not too expensive. It definitely helps to have an extra helper, but I managed to do the entire job myself.

Now that I've done it once, would I do it again? As I am forgetting how much cursing I did during the job I might just take it on again. Actually, I probably did more cursing when trying to lift the transfer case back into place.
Yeah there’s just no easy way that I found to get the transfer case in. Can’t use a trans jack so I ended up lifting the rear up onto the crossmember and then repositioning my hands so I could rotate it and move it forward onto the trans. It’s just awkward and heavy. I have done this 3 times now and it doesn’t really get easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons