Rear Main Oil Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Steve,

That's actually one of the reasons I felt that my transfer case may have been recently rebuilt. The fluid was still nice and blue. Anyway, I've got AutoTrak II ready to go.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be stumped by the silliest problem, the transmission filter seal.

I've done filter changes on my 99 Lesabre, and never had a problem getting the seal out. This one, I'm stuck.

Ideas?

EDIT: No sooner do I ask for help, it comes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wade,

I saw that and had been trying to use my picks. Surprisingly, the pick left a slight indentation on the aluminum so I held back on that. Later I got a small screwdriver and wedged it in the indentation I had made and tapped towards the center and got it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wade,

I saw that and had been trying to use my picks. Surprisingly, the pick left a slight indentation on the aluminum so I held back on that. Later I got a small screwdriver and wedged it in the indentation I had made and tapped towards the center and got it.
I hate those little seals, they’re a PIA to remove.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate those little seals, they’re a PIA to remove.
There is a trick out there that involves a piece of threaded pipe with an elbow. Screw it in, give it a wack, and it's out. I didn't have any piper at home.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The NP246 takes AutoTrak II fluid, which is blue (when new...).
If you check the T-Case fluid and you used AutoTrak (blue) and you notice its over-filled and Red like mine was you may have a internal Trans seal failure. Mine was 2 quarts over (1 GAL) and it didn't leak a drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan