Rear liftgate ground illumination light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidtriton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone else had their GMC or Chevy (I guess Tahoe has a chevy emblem) logo light that shows you where to kick your foot start to look like this? I just noticed it a couple days ago, it was fine before then. Mine is about 9 weeks old with 1700 miles on it. The lens cover on the lamp under the bumper feels like it has a soft gel like covering on it and I'm guessing it's become pitted?

Has anyone else had theirs start to look weird, and do they all have this soft covering over the projector lamp?

gmc1.jpg gmc2.jpg

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought to myself, surely mine doesn't have this too. Wrong. Mine used to be perfect reflection of GMC on my garage floor, but it's now "starting" to do the same thing as yours. It's like the material is breaking down and light is leaking through. Mine is not near as bad as yours, but in 5300miles it's definitely changed.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think the masking would be on the inside of the lens, not the outside. Looks to be due to the swirl of air behind your vehicle that traps and swirls dust around as you go down the road effectively sand blasting the lens.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think the masking would be on the inside of the lens, not the outside. Looks to be due to the swirl of air behind your vehicle that traps and swirls dust around as you go down the road effectively sand blasting the lens.

Who knows, maybe its (lens) installed upside down. These early models were probably built with temp employees due to covid...

Aaron 21 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh boy. Can't wait for mine to do that. One more thing to complain about at the first oil change.

Dealer gouged the chrome trim on the back when putting on the black emblems.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe its (lens) installed upside down. These early models were probably built with temp employees due to covid...

if it were upside down, the letters would be backwards ;)

wu6fiend

Reaction score
Huh. I just noticed this on my wife's 2019 Cadillac XT4. I hadn't got around to looking underneath, to see if I could determine the exact cause. On her car, the Cadillac emblem looks like it is surrounded by stars.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is mine after 5800 miles. It's one thing after another. I do regret this purchase. Nothing but problems.

IMG_20201102_183127818.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be a clear plastic like Saran Wrap used as a protector during manufacturing that was supposed to have been peeled off and it's just weathering?