Rear Liftgate and Car Wash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCRich

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As i was washing the Tahoe at a carwash today, i was using the wand and suddenly the liftgate opened. I must have somehow triggered the hands free foot option. Guess i learned that i need to shut that off whenever i go to the carwash.....lol. Just wanted to throw this out there so others are aware.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. Another example of technology producing unexpected results.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread I know but I've found that my rear liftgate easily opens on it's own when using the pressure washer to knock off the dirt and grime before washing. If you hit it just right in the recessed handle opening the water pressure activates the button and the gate opens. Has happened multiple times so now I lock the vehicle and take the key inside my house well out of range. And no I'm not hitting it point blank range this is happening with the wand probably 12-15" away from the vehicle

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've buffed out the driver side of the rear bumper and the lift gate will still open... So you're not alone. This is an ongoing issue with a lot of owners.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this might sound crazy but what if you turn the dial inside to 'off' maybe then when your using 1000psi on the switch it won't inadvertently kick the door open.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this might sound crazy but what if you turn the dial inside to 'off' maybe then when your using 1000psi on the switch it won't inadvertently kick the door open.
That’s a good idea I actually kinda forgot about that inside button cause I never use it. I’m not sure 1000 psi would set it off though, my Honda shoots 4000 psi

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a good idea I actually kinda forgot about that inside button cause I never use it. I’m not sure 1000 psi would set it off though, my Honda shoots 4000 psi
I hope you are not using 4000psi on car paint! 1200 should really be the max unless you want to strip the paint.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense, but 4000 psi power washers are for farm equipment, not vehicles. But to each, his own….
I have one and I know what they can do…

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used this same pressure washer on all my cars for years and no issues whatsoever. All the chrome on my Yukon is wrapped and the spray doesn’t affect it one bit. I’m quite careful with it and never get very close to the vehicles. And yes this is definitely a commercial grade pressure washer I also use on my tractors, berry harvesters, mowers, flatbeds and other farm equipment. Cleans the concrete like a dream too