Rear lift gate woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got a few things tackled on the SSV. Running a bit better with less stumble now that it has new plugs n wires.

This week I took my wife to the airport at an ungodly hour and found out that the rear lift gate wouldn’t open. The glass pops open but the gate wouldn’t open.

Figured it was possibly a fuse but, hark today it opens. Removed the whole inner panel and see nothing out of the ordinary. It’s definitely been lubed up in its like as there’s a lot of grease goo in there. Cleaned it up but it’s still sporadically working.

Any suggestions? Been looking on rock auto for a replacement switch do dad but not sure if that’s what needs to be replaced.

Anyone have similar symptoms issues, feedback always welcome.

Thanks

Paul
5trmtpr

bobo49505

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes i did. replace the button before it stops working like i did.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got a few things tackled on the SSV. Running a bit better with less stumble now that it has new plugs n wires.

This week I took my wife to the airport at an ungodly hour and found out that the rear lift gate wouldn’t open. The glass pops open but the gate wouldn’t open.

Figured it was possibly a fuse but, hark today it opens. Removed the whole inner panel and see nothing out of the ordinary. It’s definitely been lubed up in its like as there’s a lot of grease goo in there. Cleaned it up but it’s still sporadically working.

Any suggestions? Been looking on rock auto for a replacement switch do dad but not sure if that’s what needs to be replaced.

Anyone have similar symptoms issues, feedback always welcome.

Thanks

Paul
5trmtpr

Well here I go again, if you have a Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool, you can test the tailgate and see the internal trouble codes as to why it is not working. There is a dimple on the interior panel and if you drill that out with a 1-1/8" hole saw, you can use a screwdriver to manually open the rear door from the inside. There is no mechanical latch external. GM sells a plug to cover this hole for the next time you need it, 15836140 (ebony). Stick with GM OE or ACDelco Professional parts.

The new Corvette and 2021 SUVs went this way all around.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,

I really need to get a tech2 or similar. It’s been on my list, just need to research which candy module I need. Have 3 GM vehicles from 2007 to 2017 you would of figured I would of done this by now.

Paul
5trmtpr

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,

I really need to get a tech2 or similar. It’s been on my list, just need to research which candy module I need. Have 3 GM vehicles from 2007 to 2017 you would of figured I would of done this by now.

Paul
5trmtpr

Well, you might want something else, like the MDI with GDS software (or MDI2 w/GDS2 software) which can talk to your new cars as well via a laptop. I like the handiness of the Tech-2 and Wes figured out a way to use the VXDIAG NANO wireless to talk a Dell tablet and use GDS and Tech2Win software for both old and new and costs less.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They gotta get you on the payroll James. The “button” on the outside goes bad and double check the wires coming in through the top.

Your referring to the entire harness that’s coming from the roof area of the truck and into the tailgate behind the 3rd /center brake lamp?

Ive had to silicone the cover that attaches to the body into place. It was broken and was letting water into the truck.

I’ve been told, have to look it up on gm parts that the harness is expensive.

I wish there was more of these body styles available in the salvage yards!

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you might want something else, like the MDI with GDS software (or MDI2 w/GDS2 software) which can talk to your new cars as well via a laptop. I like the handiness of the Tech-2 and Wes figured out a way to use the VXDIAG NANO wireless to talk a Dell tablet and use GDS and Tech2Win software for both old and new and costs less.

Ok your talking foreign language to me!! Lol, but I’m interested in seeing how it works. To whom do I contact? Having GM cars/trucks from 2007 to 2017 would be awesome to be able to do stuff like this.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but not necessarily the entire harness. The wires get frayed so you’re just looking for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons