Rear Lift Gate 95 Yukon GT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
My rear lift gate will not release and the key won't work either. I can hear the module under the dash clicking but the glass will not release. I was going to take of the rear trim panel off to get to everything but there are screws in the top of the trim panel that the steel glass frame covers.

Any ideas on how to get to anything that will help me release the glass or am I just going to have to cut into the tailgate interior trim to get to the mechanism. I have checked all fuses and all the other door locks work just not sure if I am even getting power back to the actuator. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Is the key cylinder locked up or will it move? id try spraying some penetrating oil in it and see what happens... Cutting the interior panel would be lastttt resort.

OP
OP
T

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
I have been spraying the lock for a month with no luck. Where are the power wires for the tailgate routed? I have a feeling that I am not getting power to the actuator so I would like to trace the wires back. Are the wires routed under the drivers step plate or are they completely external and along the frame rail with the tail light harness?

BlkYukon95

Reaction score
Mine is similar. If I hit the button on the dash it will click, but I go back and it is still shut. I can use the key fob and hit it and grab the glass right away and it opens.

Its as if the release doesnt "pop" it open, but just slight enough that I can grab it right after the button is hit.

OP
OP
T

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
No mine isn't even doing that. I have tried that method no luck at all. I am not in a rush to get it open as I am not driving it right now but I would like to this summer as we use it to go away on vacation. Two kids and the dog so we need to load up.

If someone could direct me to the wiring location and where it runs and originates from I can trouble shoot this biotch and get her working again. I do not want to cut even though I have another tailgate interior panel but that will be the extreme last resort.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
the wires are under that long strip panel with the 6 or 8 screws in it on the floor. youll see a rubber grommet there and the wires go through that..

OP
OP
T

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
Well I have been digging into it a bit. I have power to the line under the sill plate so that is good. Bad news is I am pretty sure the actuator has given up and the whole time I have been trying the key and I still cannot get it to turn.

I have three choices left;

Drill out lock and turn with screwdriver
Break rear window and replace ( I have a spare )
Cut inside trim panel to get to stricker and pop open ( I have spare trim panel as well )

If you were in my shoes what would you do?

I am leaning towards drilling out lock cylinder.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
cut the old panel is my suggestion. youll have full access to the locking mechanism.. breaking the window wont do much besides make a mess. drilling out lock cylinder could also work since its already fried. but the cutting of the panel is basically 100% working order. if you drill the lock who knows maybe you cant get it to pop open then your 2 things down..

OP
OP
T

TORONTO 95 GT

Reaction score
Got it open tonight without cutting anything. I have been spraying PB Blaster in the lock for the last three weeks and tonight I soaked it again. Found one of the original keys I had stashed away and worked that in the lock for 15 minutes using Vise Grips to give it a bit more leverage and it finally turned and unlocked the glass.

I took everything apart and got to the actuator and it will not fire but power is all the way to it. At least I know what is wrong and the key works so I put it all back together so the wife can use the truck to go on vacation in a couple of weeks. Just nice to have it working again even though the remote will not operate it.

Just a heads up to all...use the tailgate lock occasionally so you do not have this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094