Rear HVAC in a 2 door Tahoe???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keegan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it possible? Has anyone ever used parts from a suburban to attempt at getting rear HVAC into a 2 door tahoe?

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible? Has anyone ever used parts from a suburban to attempt at getting rear HVAC into a 2 door tahoe?
After spending the day with a used Suburban rear system, I found out a lot of things.

1) There's not enough space on the Driver's side wheel well to replace the standard jack with the system.

2) It's not worth running an entire separate line from the condenser

3) Getting the Actuators to do what you want with OEM controls and relays was not worth the cost to me.

So...

I'm connecting the OEM controls to 2 x Delta 252cfm 12volt, whisper quiet, fans, with side intake.

I'm thinking of T-connecting power from the map-light leads to the Rear A/C controller for power and back lighting. Then fish lines through the roof to the 4x10 speaker housing.
I do not use these speakers, so I am removing them.

Fan #1 draws air through the OEM speaker cover, and exhausts through the side port.

Air passes through 1"x2.25" tubing that can be fished in through the speaker openings

Connect Fan #2 with to draw through the side port, and exhaust through the OEM speaker cover.

This will provide NO refrigerated or heated air.

Air can be directed forward and not down with direction blades. (A dryer exhaust fan with direction blades preset in the appropriate direction and then Gorilla Glue applied to the corners to hold fix the blades and direction of air flow)

There is 51.7 cubic feet of cargo area in a 2 Door OBS.
The fans are rated to move 252 cubic feet per minute.
(Allowing for 25% loss in real world application)
I expect to circulate the air in the rear at least 3.5 times a minute.

I made up a system like this for a 1981 CJ7. I had A/C and a hardtop but the backseat was always hot. I zip-tied some little 75cfm fans... and it REALLY helped. Maybe it will work here.

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
d7672d59-e5be-499a-bf29-ef1df9979415-jpeg.203723

Jedi-GT

Reaction score
What if you ran the setup on the opposite side for the spare tire?
Get the shell of the Suburban and cut it to fit on the rear of the 2dr?

I have seen a setup of having it set up in the center console but i don’t like the idea of loosing the center counsel

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know if the Suburban set up will fit in the 2door OBS. If you find out let me know.

You also need to run a second refrigerant line from the compressor. Seems needless.

In my experience the systems work great if you:

1) Keeping the cowl vent under the hood clear of debris
2) Open up and clean out the blower motor/vent in the passenger footwell