Rear hatch weatherstripping

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by east302, Jan 2, 2017.

1. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    Yeah, I've added pieces of weatherstripping to try to seal it and it still finds a path. I have the tailgate gasket raised by goobering RTV under it to bring it up and close the gap, but it looks like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. east302

Name:
    east302
    Thanks for the links. In that second one, the poster said that the tailgate had sagged, causing the liftglass hatch to be too high.

That's something to look into, will take a look at it and see how it hits.

The driver side glass edge is flush (and there is no gap with the tailgate gasket) but the passenger side sticks out about 1/4" and has the gasket gap.

You're right...it has to be an alignment issue. I'm going to loosen all liftglass hinge bolts, rest the glass closed and have someone push it down and into place--and hopefully close the gap--while tightening the hinge bolts.

Maybe that'll work...

3. G_Unit MVP

G_Unit MVP TYF Newbie

Name:
    German

Hi, sorry for the rebump, I bought a 95 Tahoe and I'm replacing the rear weatherstripping.

Bought the 3 rear seals from LMC, but the I cant install the top one the way you have it installed on the picture. It's like the glass hatch is too far away from the roof. Do you need to glue the lip to the glass? What am I missing?

Thanks for the help.

4. east302

Name:
    east302
    It was a colossal pain in the ass to get it that way. I didn’t glue it or anything, it pushes onto the weld lip thing and the top flap naturally rests flat.

With the hatch open, I took a screwdriver and pushed the top flap up through the opening, inch by inch, to get it to rest on top of the glass. It tore in some places.

It would be easier to remove the liftglass, but then you’d have to have someone hold the flap up, align the hinges and get it into position without the flap coming down.

I don’t know how they did it in Detroit on the assembly line, but there has to be an easier way to accomplish this.

Or, maybe the flap isn’t supposed to go on top after all. The GM manual doesn’t say.

G_Unit MVP and Galante like this.
  5. G_Unit MVP

G_Unit MVP TYF Newbie

Name:
    German
    Thanks for the reply. I will try to put it that way and leave it for a couple of days without moving the liftglass to see if it works.

6. G_Unit MVP

G_Unit MVP TYF Newbie

Name:
    German
    I think something is wrong with my hatch, cause the weatherstrip doesn't even reach the glass. The gap between the top of the glass and the roof is too big. I don't know if there is a way to adjust that...

7. east302

Name:
    east302
    It is somewhat adjustable. Going by memory here so I may have this backward, but the hinge bolts on the body side can be loosened and the whole thing pushed in a little. There is a plate that the bolts go into. It isn’t captive, but can be repositioned if you can get your hands up in there.

It’s really a two person job, and removing the support struts may give it more leeway. I would try closing it and having someone outside pushing in at the top. Then someone inside the cargo area tightening the nuts down.

Is it leaking?

I never did get mine right. Ended up rigging the weatherstrip on the top of the tailgate to make it work.

8. G_Unit MVP

G_Unit MVP TYF Newbie

Name:
    German
    Yes, every time it rains, the cargo area is soak in water. I replaced the main weatherstrip, maybe that stops the water problem, but I don't like that huge gap. It collects all kind of garbage from dust to tree leaves, and after a while is a mess.

9. east302

Name:
    east302
    The trick then is to see where it’s leaking. A water hose on the roof and a flashlight should make it easy to spot from inside.

Some have had issues with water through the roof rack mounting holes, some through the side glass seal.