Rear Hatch open button fracture lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myjigglybelly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got in a rear ended yesterday during stop and go traffic on my brand new Yukon (100mi on odometer) and I noticed there are fracture lines around the hatch open button area. Could anyone confirm that they don’t have it?

BFAEAB3C-FC56-49B3-96D3-91CA087CF40E.jpegE00779E1-63C6-40E7-9D1D-9798E9316E6A.jpeg

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are called witness lines. The injection mold for that part has an “insert” which they swap out of the tool to mold the version without the power liftgate. The lines show up at the edges of the insert.

Don’t worry there is nothing structurally wrong with the plastic. It’s just cosmetic.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are called witness lines. The injection mold for that part has an “insert” which they swap out of the tool to mold the version without the power liftgate. The lines show up at the edges of the insert.

Don’t worry there is nothing structurally wrong with the plastic. It’s just cosmetic.
They make a T2 with no power lift gate?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the panel can physically separate there to facilitate repair of the switch if necessary Vs removing the whole tailgate panel. No big deal at all….

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the panel can physically separate there to facilitate repair of the switch if necessary Vs removing the whole tailgate panel. No big deal at all….
highly doubtful....if that was the case there would be a clip/bolt/screw in place to do such a thing

OP
OP
M

Myjigglybelly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SLE and LS trim have a manual liftgate.

I design injection molded plastic parts for a living. These are 100% witness lines from an insert in a tool. Trust me.
I guess why do they design such that the witness lines are in such a obvious place?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts