Rear Engine Oil Leak Causes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lt1gmc

Reaction score
Had a persistent and getting worse oil leak on the rear part of the engine of our 2009 Yukon. Changed the oil bypass cover and gasket above the oil filter, oil pressure sensor, Oil Pan gasket (a royal pain in the Butt), tighten all VLOM cover bolts, all with no success other than making it a bit less. No oil on flexplate so main seal seemed ok. On removal of the engine for replacement at 230 k miles discovered 4 rear main cover bolts loose was the cause. Our replacement 2010 used engine had 3 or 4 rear main bolts that were just over hand tight, and my son's 2013 Escalade 6.2 had a couple of loose rear main bolts as well. All were on the middle part of the cover, about 1/2 way down or up from top and bottom. Just an FYI for those hard to find leak sufferers.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a persistent and getting worse oil leak on the rear part of the engine of our 2009 Yukon. Changed the oil bypass cover and gasket above the oil filter, oil pressure sensor, Oil Pan gasket (a royal pain in the Butt), tighten all VLOM cover bolts, all with no success other than making it a bit less. No oil on flexplate so main seal seemed ok. On removal of the engine for replacement at 230 k miles discovered 4 rear main cover bolts loose was the cause. Our replacement 2010 used engine had 3 or 4 rear main bolts that were just over hand tight, and my son's 2013 Escalade 6.2 had a couple of loose rear main bolts as well. All were on the middle part of the cover, about 1/2 way down or up from top and bottom. Just an FYI for those hard to find leak sufferers.
Can those bolts be accessed in vehicle?

majchrke1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

majchrke1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are those rear main bolts accessible without taking the engine out? I am almost 80 years old and am not up to doing major engine work any more. I have a 2001 5.8 liter Yukon with 250k on the engine. Would appreciate your advice please.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those rear main bolts accessible without taking the engine out? I am almost 80 years old and am not up to doing major engine work any more. I have a 2001 5.8 liter Yukon with 250k on the engine. Would appreciate your advice please.
Yes they are, but the transmission has to come out to get to them, so it's still a big job that even at 51, I would leave to a shop to do.

Congrats on nearly 80 years! Hope you see at least 100 if you want to. Met a guy a while ago at a restaurant who was 103 at that time. I asked him his secret and he said: "THREE MARTINIS A DAY!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts