rear ended on the tow hitch, what should i check for damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dogged

Reaction score
hello, guys! long story short, i visited my father-in-law today, we i had some drinks, so i let my wife drive the truck (21's tahoe) back. What a stupid decision, she backed directly to the wall and leave a nice dent on the cement.

thankfully i have not removed my tow hitch. The hitch looks got some scratches. I ve heard some people got rear ended on the hitch and got frame damaged, should i worry that? Wasn't fast, maybe 10-20 km/h.

Honestly, as a mechanical engineer, I would certainly replace the pin. I assume it hit on the nose of the hitch forging and not the ball. If the ball appears to be hit, they are cheap enough to replace as well. It's just good insurance.

There are crack detection solvents if you really want to know about the receiver mounting points, but a close visual inspection with a good light can give you some clues about deformation. Don't just assume it's fine without some inspection. I can tell you from personal experience losing a trailer from the hitch sucks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, as a mechanical engineer, I would certainly replace the pin. I assume it hit on the nose of the hitch forging and not the ball. If the ball appears to be hit, they are cheap enough to replace as well. It's just good insurance.

There are crack detection solvents if you really want to know about the receiver mounting points, but a close visual inspection with a good light can give you some clues about deformation. Don't just assume it's fine without some inspection. I can tell you from personal experience losing a trailer from the hitch sucks.
Well, if you wanna get technical.....

upload_2021-2-6_15-35-20.jpeg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check that your power rear tailgate opens and closes correctly. Doesn't make any odd sounds or hesitates and the rear tailgate struts are still straight and aligned.

My wife was rear-ended at very low speed in her '13 Escalade ESV. She was in a right turn lane turning right on red, vehicle in front her turned, she moved up to the light and came to a stop on red before turning, vehicle behind her followed and went too far and bumped her rear painted hitch cover. There was almost barely any paint damage on the tow hitch cover, didn't move or misalign the rear bumper cover at all. Her rear tailgate ended up becoming a bit noisy on opening/closing (it was inconsistent) and every once in a while would struggle, ended up prematurely burning out the tailgate motor...

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks! i think her foot was not on gas, but i remember i see the wall keep approaching on the screen, at the same time i shut STOPPPPP, i heard the BANNNNNN
5MPH is the top speed (assuming flat land)with teh foot off the gas (some cases 10-12mph though if it's in second gear)
I think this is a Federal Mandate

other wise you can go like 40-50MPH in revise gear ... or as fast as the engine gear ratio is..

in the hybrid I had her at 20mph (I was testing something)

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
5MPH is the top speed (assuming flat land)with teh foot off the gas (some cases 10-12mph though if it's in second gear)
I think this is a Federal Mandate

other wise you can go like 40-50MPH in revise gear ... or as fast as the engine gear ratio is..

in the hybrid I had her at 20mph (I was testing something)
74BEF124-4E3D-4305-B842-EE444B479783.jpeg

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that is the only way to test the "rear" brakes that is how i figured out they were faulty without taking them off i.e did not work correctly...

when i said 5MPH that is the speed,the vehicle will move with your foot off the gas while in gear from a stand still

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts