Rear door handle rod clip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 2012 Denali and was wondering if somebody could tell me how to release the clip for the rear door handles? Which side should I pry from? These are not the same clips my 08 Tahoe had.....those were simple to open up lol! Thanks!

image.jpeg

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow way different than what i have on my 08 lol

jdickersonrn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My truck is a 2012 Denali and was wondering if somebody could tell me how to release the clip for the rear door handles? Which side should I pry from? These are not the same clips my 08 Tahoe had.....those were simple to open up lol! Thanks!

View attachment 58537

I spent over an hour trying to get this clip open and unable to find anything on the internet remotely close, except for this picture (forever thankful)...and no answer attached to it. There will be other sorry chaps who will be looking for an answer to this post and so here is my attempt.

On the lower right side, where the red arrow is pointing to, that is the hinge. You will need a dental mirror and a micro screwdriver. Remove the rubber grommet that is in the door to access the bolt for the handle. You'll need that out to better visualize the mirror. And don't forget a good flashlight to wedge in there. Put the dental mirror behind the yellow clip and you'll see a locking tooth with a clip around it.

From the left side of the clip (as pictured) you'll have to get your micro screwdriver in and behind it and Pop That Loop over that tooth. Then it opens up like a door on that hinge. Now I have 3 other handles to replace and it will take probably 20 minutes a door instead of two hours for this one door.

Here is the video I used...but uses the older clip

2008 GMC Yukon Denali rear door lock rod clip

Last edited:

Fervor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That clip is a nightmare. I just gave up on it for the time being as I couldn't get it off of there. I am curious if anyone else had more intel on this clip that might help? I'm stalled badly. So frustrating that a simple clip (or not so simple) has me completely stopped in my tracks. Thanks in advance.

pcwizard2600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I looked at a ton of videos and was beginning to think I had the one and only oddball. I wasn't able to get it off, so I'm going to order a clip from the dealer as I'm sure I will break this one getting it off. Probably GM did this to force people to take it to the dealer for repairs. Thanks for the instructions.

jdickersonrn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spent over an hour trying to get this clip open and unable to find anything on the internet remotely close, except for this picture (forever thankful)...and no answer attached to it. There will be other sorry chaps who will be looking for an answer to this post and so here is my attempt.

On the lower right side, where the red arrow is pointing to, that is the hinge. You will need a dental mirror and a micro screwdriver. Remove the rubber grommet that is in the door to access the bolt for the handle. You'll need that out to better visualize the mirror. And don't forget a good flashlight to wedge in there. Put the dental mirror behind the yellow clip and you'll see a locking tooth with a clip around it.

From the left side of the clip (as pictured) you'll have to get your micro screwdriver in and behind it and Pop That Loop over that tooth. Then it opens up like a door on that hinge. Now I have 3 other handles to replace and it will take probably 20 minutes a door instead of two hours for this one door.

Here is the video I used...but uses the older clip

2008 GMC Yukon Denali rear door lock rod clip

UPDATE 12/2019

I had to replace one more handle and was able to take an additional photo of what you need to look for. This time instead of a dental mirror I used a small USB endoscope that I snaked through one of the holes in the door to point downward at the inside of the yellow clip so y ou can visualize the locking loop and tooth. Place a small screwdriver, like for jewelry, under the edge and carefully lift.

Screenshot_20191227-091127_HD WiFi.jpg Screenshot_20191227-091131_HD WiFi.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another problem with these clips is when they get old and worn out they don't want to snap/lock shut. So you will have to do this unless you can find a new one:

3A5F5316-F8E8-4EAE-8650-07D9ADA0857A.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak