Rear brake over use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
My 03 Tahoe has 2 piston calipers on all 4 corners. For some reason my rear brakes always wear quicker than the front. Is there an issue I need to look into or a way to balance the system? I have checked the calipers and bled the system, but have always gone through 2 sets of rear pads to 1 set of front. Thanks for any help.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know our rigs use the rears a LOT more than any other vehicles I’ve driven. I’m not sure if I get a 2:1 rear to front on pad replacement, but I can say it’s fairly well-known that they have a heavier than expected rear bias. I believe that’s normal. I’m sure some other members with more experience and definitive details will also chime in.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all of our work trucks, 05 3500, and a 15 3500, as well as my own old 03 2500hd, and now my 05 tahoe, all use the back pads up before the fronts. so its pretty normal. even my 98 regal used up the rear pads before the fronts. gm must have added more to the rears.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my Tahoes and Denali use the rears up first. You will really notice it if you tow alot which I do. It aint like the old days where brakes were 80/20. These things are heavy and really heavy when towing.
I just had to slap some rear pads on one of my tahoes a couple weeks ago. Its been used alot in the last year towing. Of course they wait until winter time to need pads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts