Rear brake light out......sometime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peddler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 GMC Yukon Denali. 52,000 miles. I've read extensively regarding the rear tail light issues many 2015 and 2016 Yukon Denali owners have experienced. Mine seems to be a little different. At night the brake lights work perfectly. During the day only the passenger side rear brake light works. The fact all of the lights work at night tells me this is not the typical issue widely reported by 2015 and 2016 Yukon owners. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?

OP
OP
peddler

peddler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 GMC Yukon Denali. 52,000 miles. I've read extensively regarding the rear tail light issues many 2015 and 2016 Yukon Denali owners have experienced. Mine seems to be a little different. At night the brake lights work perfectly. During the day only the passenger side rear brake light works. The fact all of the lights work at night tells me this is not the typical issue widely reported by 2015 and 2016 Yukon owners. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?
The issue I referenced in my earlier post has now progressed to the point where neither of my rear brake lights work when the temp is in the 90s. Since my last post I have found out about the extended warranty (72 months) GMC has put in place to address this design defect. I'm taking the Yukon in on Wednesday to have the light issue addressed. Does anyone know if the design of the repalcement rear lights has been changed to address the circuit board issue? Or will my defective rear lights be replaced with two more lights that will ultimately fail again. Anyone?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I soldered mine myself. Going on about a year with no issues.

My Yukon was apparently like 1 month out of that rear light warranty thing.. and even if they wanted to help me the tail lights were on an unknown ETA back order.

They quoted me somewhere in the ballpark of $700+ For just 1 tail light. So I asked if they were an improved design and they told me no same exact light I have in my truck now. I could of been given inaccurate information but that’s just what I was told.

OP
OP
peddler

peddler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tonyv_: A few questions if you don't mind.....

1. Did you have the light issue with both rear lights or just one.
2. What did you use to open the area(s) of the the light that required soldering? Hot knife? Soldering gun?
3. Did you use a copper wire to connect (solder) the two parts of the circuit board that had cracked?

Any info you can make available will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonyv_: A few questions if you don't mind.....

1. Did you have the light issue with both rear lights or just one.
2. What did you use to open the area(s) of the the light that required soldering? Hot knife? Soldering gun?
3. Did you use a copper wire to connect (solder) the two parts of the circuit board that had cracked?

Any info you can make available will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Since you didn’t tag me properly I didn’t get this notification

As far as I’m aware only my driver light was out intermittently

However I literally came back here today to see if you got any clarification from anyone else. It has come to my attention tonight that my driver brake light is out intermittently again…. I plan to open the light up tonight to investigate…

I started to open the light with a cherry red razor blade but it wasn’t that effective. I ended up cutting it open with a multi tool. Then I soldered the board with just solder but I think I’m gonna go back and add some wire tonight if I find another crack. sealed it back up with the same plastic that I cut out and some heavy duty silicone. It sealed pretty well as I have no moisture in the light at all.

I’ll update my findings tonight when I open it up again

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I warned you. It’s ugly but here’s my lights. I pulled the plastic pieces off. The top repair cracked…. Hmm I’m just gonna solder again and hope for the best I guess. Not really sure how else to fix it.

CC15D839-4BF5-4F19-A836-8E73F4223807.jpegDB482039-9691-48CF-A7A7-F50910A522D3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins