Rear brake intermittent rhythmic squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have my 2005 Tahoe Z71 that is VIN #1GNEK13T15R221385. I need to redo my rear brakes and parking brake assemblies because of noises that cannot seem to get rid of. Anyway. I want to replace the entire backing plate/dustshield assembly or just the backing plate. I see that my GVW rating is 6800 but everything I look up references much bigger or the closest is 7200 lb. GVW. Would the GM part #89026786 be ok for the backing plate or #25879189 be ok for the whole assembly? Both are listed as 7200 lb. GVW. Thanks so much for your help.

I have thoroughly inspected the front park brake actuator assembly, the front cable and the intermediate cable and found no problems. Everything releases and sets as it should. Did replace the rear cables on both sides. Both appear to release completely. I think before I did the rear cables that I had a weak release at those cables and the park brakes got hot and have heated the drum hat of the rear rotors. I am going to replace the rear pads, hardware, park brake shoes and hardware, rotors and wanting to replace the shields and backing plates for the cable levers. My dilemma is that all RA offers is listed as for 7200 lb. GVW and mine is 6800 lb. GVW.

I did send this info/question to @915_Tahoe as well.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of my rear calipers was not retracting. when i went to change the pads the pistons would not push in at all. was getting a squeal that i could hear going slow when not touching the brakes. replaced both rear calipers sound is gone.

the brake hoses can also fail and not let fluid pass freely both ways. keeping the caliper tight still after braking.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When my backing plates were replaced the shop used NAPA 6005597, which is a rebranded Dorman kit:

My '04 has hydroboost and has RPO JH2 so I'm not sure that helps you.
1662158056623.png

Looking at GMPartsGiant in the '05 Tahoe page for yours, the only shields listed are:

1662157764677.png

The backing plate (flange) behind that will depend if there is one or two clip points. Are you replacing the flange, too?

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When my backing plates were replaced the shop used NAPA 6005597, which is a rebranded Dorman kit:

My '04 has hydroboost and has RPO JH2 so I'm not sure that helps you.
View attachment 379810

Looking at GMPartsGiant in the '05 Tahoe page for yours, the only shields listed are:

View attachment 379809

The backing plate (flange) behind that will depend if there is one or two clip points. Are you replacing he dust shieldthe flange, too?
That is just the dust shield. I want at least the backing plate or both.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see two choices on GMPartsGiant for the backing plate, so you'll need to know what you have now if it's going to be a direct replacement.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just ordered from RA: New rear brake pads, park brake hardware kit, park brake shoe sets, 2 new rotors, 2 new calipers and 2 new brake backing plates. Hope to hell this fixes the ever annoying noise.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you doing the axle seals while you have the axles out?
Yes, they were just done but if pulling axles out I am also doing the bearings and seals while apart. Thanks for the reminder.

Just to be clear, the bearings and the seals had been done about 7k miles ago and there are no problems there but the expense is so minimal, I am going to do the Timken bearings and seals and a new Genuine GM diff gasket, while apart.

Last edited: