Rear brake intermittent rhythmic squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just encountered a similar noise/problem with another vehicle. The drum edge had "grown" with rust and was making enough contact on the backing plate in one spot to be annoying. Obviously this vehicle sat in a wet area for some time. My point being, not all noises come from brake pads or shoes. Just thought I'd share.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just encountered a similar noise/problem with another vehicle. The drum edge had "grown" with rust and was making enough contact on the backing plate in one spot to be annoying. Obviously this vehicle sat in a wet area for some time. My point being, not all noises come from brake pads or shoes. Just thought I'd share.
Fortunately there is no rust here. I ordered all I could think of from RA and will return what I know to not be needed.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 5/16" rock get into the front caliper and wedge up against the brake rotor. It sounded and felt like the vehicle was going to come apart on me at any moment. Once I got it opened up and the rock fell out....boy did I feel like an amateur. All that over a rock. I was sweating bullets thinking I was going to have to open up the safe and buy alot of parts.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a 5/16" rock get into the front caliper and wedge up against the brake rotor. It sounded and felt like the vehicle was going to come apart on me at any moment. Once I got it opened up and the rock fell out....boy did I feel like an amateur. All that over a rock. I was sweating bullets thinking I was going to have to open up the safe and buy alot of parts.
This is a very intermittent noise that you cannot hear at speed. Brake function is normal and so is the park brake function. The noise is not so much a squeak but more like a "sqauwk" noise. I have no idea if I spelled that right. I do know that I must have accidently left the park brake partially on and it ground up some of the park brake shoe surface and I would bet over heated the drum hat inside the rotor. I find it hard to believe that I did leave the park brake on because even when I don't set it I have the habit of releasing that lever every time before I put in gear. I think that one or both of the rear brake cables did not release properly and started the ball rolling on this problem. What ever caused it, I am going to fix this problem/noise because I cannot stand to hear that noise when moving at a snail's crawl pace. For a rig that performs flawlessly in all other aspects, this must be gone.

IMG_20220730_121215.jpg

Last edited:

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope all that hard work fixes your problem. I need to get back there on my Tahoe to fix my parking brake. It's the only thing not working on my baby. I will probably jack up the entire vehicle and flush the brake fluid while I'm back there. Good luck.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hope all that hard work fixes your problem. I need to get back there on my Tahoe to fix my parking brake. It's the only thing not working on my baby. I will probably jack up the entire vehicle and flush the brake fluid while I'm back there. Good luck.
If you read my Build Thread, you will see I leave no "stone" unturned when it comes to taking care of this rig. I have replaced sooo many parts before their time was up, just because I could and knew they would be needed some day. One of these days, my heads are coming off because during all this work in my thread, I had some exhaust manifold bolts break during removal for motor mount access. I opted to use the Dorman kits for re-clamping the manifolds and my rig now has 3 band-aids on it. That drives me crazy. Thought about it the whole time when on my recent 5500k miles trip but had no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094