Really enjoying this new Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was way over my rated tow capacity. I estimate about 9500 lbs boat and trailer. Tow capacity is 7800 lbs.

Yeah, but you weren't towing the boat over the Eisenhower Tunnel or crossing Death Valley, just a short hop on flat roads which she'll easily handle. I was always curious as to how the tow ratings are determined and just the other day came across a youtube video explaining the "new" industry standard for determining a vehicle's towing capacity which I found quite interesting. Then read the back story, GM tested the later models of the GMT900s to the new standard but kept it quiet until Ford released their new model, then everyone else started to get on board, save for Toyota, they were first to embrace and use the standard if memory serves. SAE J2807.

Let me see if I can find it if interested.... here:

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swath- I'm with you. I didn't even have the boat correctly loaded on the boat- I used a different ramp and the pulpit kept jamming on the trailer so I was 3 feet back on the trailer.
So I was light on the tongue weihjt which makes it HARDER to tow. More apt to wag the tail. Marina is going to move it forward and shrink wrap it for winter.

The first XL 2500 I looked at was a 07... it had a tow rating of 7600. 200 less than my 12' Denali... that's not right.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first XL 2500 I looked at was a 07... it had a tow rating of 7600. 200 less than my 12' Denali... that's not right.

Those '07s had two gear ratio options, 3.73s and 4.10s and with the latter got higher tow ratings. They also had 1350 series u-joints and the 4L80 transmission. Trans was plenty tough but highway driving with 4.10s wouldn't be as pleasant compared to what came later. I reckon a 2012-2013 would make a mighty fine tow machine with all the software enhancements like trailer sway control, hill start assist and the different grade braking options.

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those '07s had two gear ratio options, 3.73s and 4.10s and with the latter got higher tow ratings. They also had 1350 series u-joints and the 4L80 transmission. Trans was plenty tough but highway driving with 4.10s wouldn't be as pleasant compared to what came later. I reckon a 2012-2013 would make a mighty fine tow machine with all the software enhancements like trailer sway control, hill start assist and the different grade braking options.

When I go to pick the boat up I will see how it tracks when properly loaded. Although it will be a lot more tongue weight. The power with the 6.2 and 6 speed was plenty although I did pt it in Manual and used 4 and 5 on the highway.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I go to pick the boat up I will see how it tracks when properly loaded. Although it will be a lot more tongue weight. The power with the 6.2 and 6 speed was plenty although I did pt it in Manual and used 4 and 5 on the highway.

She'll tow all day long in 4th, that's the recommended gear in the shop manual with the 6-speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons