Really disappointed with GMC Adaptive Cruise and HUD’s posted speed limit feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brynie3140

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked up a 22 Yukon Denali XL while I wait for our Escalade ESV order to be fulfilled. Lots to like about the Yukon. A few pain points.

Posted speed limit in the HUD is hit and miss. One day it will show the limit, other days it just has a dash (I’m driving the same roads). I’ve been downloading offline maps which seems to help. But then my downloaded map disappears so I have to do it all over again.

Bose system is not good at all. It’s actually horrible for such an expensive vehicle.

My biggest gripe for an $86k vehicle is the lack of features that are built into the adaptive cruise system. We drove a 2021 Hyundai Palisade for a couple of months and the Hyundai’s system is light years ahead of GMC’s. I can’t believe there isn’t some sort of lane assist that keeps you center of the lane. You can take your hands off the Palisade’s steering wheel and it will do the work for you for a few minutes at a time. It also won’t let you change lanes if it senses danger. Seems all GMC’s system does is maintain an even distance between you and the car in front of you. That tech has been around for 20+ YEARS.

Overall, it’s a great vehicle. I want to see if the Yukon Denali Ultimate with either super/ultimate cruise is going to come out in 2023. If it does, I might want the Denali Ultimate with a Diesel engine over the Escalade (I like Yukon exterior over the Escalade, but the interiors aren’t even close… hopefully the Denali Ultimate closes that gap).

Last edited:

drmoose

Reaction score
I had a palisade, I agree the ACC w/LKA + drive assist was really good. The LKA on the Suburban is nearly useless.

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
I totally agree about LKA - although FWIW it was way better on the previous generation. I had a 2015 SLT and 2016 Denali and it functioned just like you'd expect it to. My guess is the feedback from having to fight the steering wheel sometimes caused them to dial it down for this 2021+. On our BMW we can turn it on/off and it's the best implementation I've seen.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 22 Yukon Denali XL while I wait for our Escalade ESV order to be fulfilled. Lots to like about the Yukon. A few pain points.

Posted speed limit in the HUD is hit and miss. One day it will show the limit, other days it just has a dash (I’m driving the same roads). I’ve been downloading offline maps which seems to help. But then my downloaded map disappears so I have to do it all over again.

Bose system is not good at all. It’s actually horrible for such an expensive vehicle.

My biggest gripe for an $86k vehicle is the lack of features that are built into the adaptive cruise system. We drove a 2021 Hyundai Palisade for a couple of months and the Hyundai’s system is light years ahead of GMC’s. I can’t believe there isn’t some sort of lane assist that keeps you center of the lane. You can take your hands off the Palisade’s steering wheel and it will do the work for you for a few minutes at a time. It also won’t let you change lanes if it senses danger. Seems all GMC’s system does is maintain an even distance between you and the car in front of you. That tech has been around for 20+ YEARS.

Overall, it’s a great vehicle. I want to see if the Yukon Denali Ultimate with either super/ultimate cruise is going to come out in 2023. If it does, I might want the Denali Ultimate with a Diesel engine over the Escalade (I like Yukon exterior over the Escalade, but the interiors aren’t even close… hopefully the Denali Ultimate closes that gap).
Speed limit was hit and miss the first few days I had my Yukon. First of all, make sure you have onstar setup and that they activated the 3 years connected services for vehicles with google onboard. This is a free service for Denali/AT4. They'll also usually throw in another month or two of the "regular" onstar service when you press that blue button.

Additionally, make sure you check for notifications on the little google icon. A red dot will appear if there's a notification. I had to agree to a bunch of stuff for data use/location data and all of that for it to work consistently. With that said, the older infotainment where this data was hard coded into the maps worked better and more accurately. Mine works great on the highway but some side streets don't have the right speed all the time.

As for the ACC, It works perfectly for me, I personally use ACC strictly to maintain speed/distance and to slow me down if need be. Personally as cool as like SuperCruise seems on paper, I can't see a day to day use that I'd feel comfortable with. I dislike LKA on every vehicle I've had an usually turn it off pretty quickly. It wasn't even on when my Yukon was delivered and I haven't turned it on. I'm a pretty tech progressive 30 something but I still kinda like steering.

Oh, and totally agree about Bose system is super lackluster and a naming gimmick at this point. I was cross shopping for a shortie Escalade and had no luck locking one down before I got this Yukon Denali.

Last edited:

gonatee

Reaction score
GM is a now a garbage company. I still have 3 of the 5 gm vehicles Ive owned but will never buy another. If your friend was a certified gm mechanic you would feel the same.
The stereo is dead give away on how their vehicles are built.

mimi4407

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Speed limit was hit and miss the first few days I had my Yukon. First of all, make sure you have onstar setup and that they activated the 3 years connected services for vehicles with google onboard. This is a free service for Denali/AT4. They'll also usually throw in another month or two of the "regular" onstar service when you press that blue button.

Additionally, make sure you check for notifications on the little google icon. A red dot will appear if there's a notification. I had to agree to a bunch of stuff for data use/location data and all of that for it to work consistently. With that said, the older infotainment where this data was hard coded into the maps worked better and more accurately. Mine works great on the highway but some side streets don't have the right speed all the time.

As for the ACC, It works perfectly for me, I personally use ACC strictly to maintain speed/distance and to slow me down if need be. Personally as cool as like SuperCruise seems on paper, I can't see a day to day use that I'd feel comfortable with. I dislike LKA on every vehicle I've had an usually turn it off pretty quickly. It wasn't even on when my Yukon was delivered and I haven't turned it on. I'm a pretty tech progressive 30 something but I still kinda like steering.

Oh, and totally agree about Bose system is super lackluster and a naming gimmick at this point. I was cross shopping for a shortie Escalade and had no luck locking one down before I got this Yukon Denali.
Can you tell me how to download the map?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287