Real Life MPG 5.3 / 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
See Post #120, we had the whole Sharp vs. Casio vs. HP vs. Onboard Computer discussion...I tihnk for 2021+ it is proving to be pretty darn accurate
The recent posts I’m referring to are NOT 21+, this the reason for my recent post. Additionally, not everyone reads ALL previous posts.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being repetitive, I repeat, vehicle display “may not” be the same as the actual calculations done via the manual method. My 17 always reads a bit higher and the tires/gears are stock configuration.
So real life should be actual manual calculations.

Checked my mileage a couple times and it agrees with the readout down to a couple tenths. Readout miles agrees with my GPS also. And sitting in an interstate traffic jam the readout mileage does go down while idling. Really kind of surprises me how much difference there is in MPG for the exact same powertrains.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked my mileage a couple times and it agrees with the readout down to a couple tenths. Readout miles agrees with my GPS also. And sitting in an interstate traffic jam the readout mileage does go down while idling. Really kind of surprises me how much difference there is in MPG for the exact same powertrains.
I don't think there really is much difference between identical powertrains. What you are seeing is people posting under ideal conditions. There is no way a 2018 Escalade gets the same mpg as a 4 cylinder Camry. True mpg needs to be a decent round trip on the same route on the same day. I can get 27 mpg on a perfectly level road @ 45mph, but who drives in conditions like that?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recent posts I’m referring to are NOT 21+, this the reason for my recent post. Additionally, not everyone reads ALL previous posts.
Well, why would anyone w/ a 2020- be posting in info from their model this forum...

Powertrain is different, weight is different, aerodynamics are different...etc.

OP's question was to try and make a decisoin/undestand the difference in MPG in a 2021+ w/ a 5.3 vs a 6.2.

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops. I didn't read the previous posts or even noticed the forum is for the now generation machines. As stated, previous model results are not relevant to the new models.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, why would anyone w/ a 2020- be posting in info from their model this forum...

Powertrain is different, weight is different, aerodynamics are different...etc.

OP's question was to try and make a decisoin/undestand the difference in MPG in a 2021+ w/ a 5.3 vs a 6.2.
Since the OP didn’t specifically say 21+ (I know it’s rooted in that forum section) people have chimed in about non 21+ models.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Our '21 yukon xl (5.3 4wd on stock size ridge grappler tires) is now at 22,500 miles and the lifetime MPG is dead on at 17.5 just like it's been basically since new. I did a 235 mile trip today and came back with 20.2 mpg according to the dash readout but between how I drive and how my wife drives it looks like 17.5 is the true mpg

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Our '21 yukon xl (5.3 4wd on stock size ridge grappler tires) is now at 22,500 miles and the lifetime MPG is dead on at 17.5 just like it's been basically since new. I did a 235 mile trip today and came back with 20.2 mpg according to the dash readout but between how I drive and how my wife drives it looks like 17.5 is the true mpg
That is almost spot on with the EPA number....

18Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2023 6.2L Tahoe Z71 - averaging 12mpg with vast majority city driving (estimated 16mph average lifetime) after 1,000 miles of driving.
2018 6.2L Yukon XL - averaging 16mpg with slightly more highway but mostly city (estimated 20mph average lifetime) after 50k miles of driving.

The new car is definitely lower than I was expecting but mix of slower average speed, heavier tires, less aerodynamic, etc. factoring in here. Still love the new car but wish this was a couple points higher. All values from the onboard computer, going to start validating with paper and pen over the next few fill-ups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons