Read Error on Auto Cal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Zenhye

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been trying to get a tune through yall, I have done everything everyone has asked me to do twice and three times and I still get the Error $0281 when try to read the PCM. I am being told the aftermarket remote start is causing this issue, and the only only way to totally disable it is to unwire it. Has anyone else had this issue using this software?

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't the AutoCal software, the problem is that the remote start is tied into the vehicle's communication system. All other modules receive a request by the AutoCal (or any programming tool for that matter) to stop communicating and they do. Your remote start fails to listen to that request and is disrupting the flow of information between the AutoCal and your PCM. To be able to read your tune file as well as program the PCM once it is complete, you will have to either unhook the remote start wire that is tapped into the OBD-2 port's purple wire (often t-tapped right at the connector) or will need to remove all remote start fuses, wherever they may be under your dash.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket radio control modules will often also present the same problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu