Re-using antenna holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

except for the holes for the roof rack that are plugged (I intend to mount a rack again) there are two antenna holes, one right above the front passenger seat (just on the outside) and one in the middle of the rear seat area (also just the outside).

I am wondering if the antenna cable/harness typically is still in there, and if the can be re-used, for a CB or HAM radio?

Has anyone done anything with these antenna holes?

(oh and the factory holes for the luggage rack, are they threaded or is there a nut welded in it or some sort of fastener?)

thanks,

Ron

nofaz

Reaction score
Yes, both of those holes can be reused. I'm guessing that they are 3/4" in diameter or possibly 3/8". The 3/4' in are more common and I've drilled plenty of them back in the day. I worked at a Motorola shop for 28 years.

Most likely the coax (cable) has been removed or at the least the antenna mount has been cut off and removed. Almost all of these mounts remove from the outside and are not removable from the inside. After you drilled the hole you inserted the cable from the outside and pulled it in through headliner.

If you want to reuse the holes for CB or Ham radio (I have that license also), the most common antenna mount to install would be the NMO
style mount. NMO is an abbreviation for New Motorola style.

With this mount installed there are antennas available for just about any radio band you want to use.

Right now I have 3 NMO mounts on the roof of my 2013 Yukon Denali. I lowered the headliner to drill the holes and run the cables.

I'd be happy to answer any question you have if I can help.

Mark

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, both of those holes can be reused. I'm guessing that they are 3/4" in diameter or possibly 3/8". The 3/4' in are more common and I've drilled plenty of them back in the day. I worked at a Motorola shop for 28 years.

Most likely the coax (cable) has been removed or at the least the antenna mount has been cut off and removed. Almost all of these mounts remove from the outside and are not removable from the inside. After you drilled the hole you inserted the cable from the outside and pulled it in through headliner.

If you want to reuse the holes for CB or Ham radio (I have that license also), the most common antenna mount to install would be the NMO
style mount. NMO is an abbreviation for New Motorola style.

With this mount installed there are antennas available for just about any radio band you want to use.

Right now I have 3 NMO mounts on the roof of my 2013 Yukon Denali. I lowered the headliner to drill the holes and run the cables.

I'd be happy to answer any question you have if I can help.

Mark

Ah cool, I don't have the ham license yet, (have friends that do) but I might be apply for one, maybe. If I end up using only one of the holes, I might just cover the other one with a shark fin, looks better than a plug.

The one in the back seems to be right inbetween the C-pillars, I wonder if typically a cable like that would be run down these C-pillars, behind the trim or so?

Ron

nofaz

Reaction score
We'd usually pull down the headliner on the drivers side and route the cable either to the front using the A pillar or the rear using the C pillar. Police radios and higher power commercial units were a split mount affair with the controls up front and the actual 'radio' located somewhere in the rear. Under dash units needed the cable routed up front. Usually the coax is routed under the drivers side of the dash and to the radio mounted there.

Most NMO cables are either 16 or 18 feet long and are about the size of a pencil (RG58 cable) so usually not too tough to hide.

We'd bring them out the bottom of the pillar and get under the carpet/floor mat. Be careful when routing them to avoid getting crushed under the seat brackets or sill plates. Also route around the foot wells as everyday use will eventually ruin the coax.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'd usually pull down the headliner on the drivers side and route the cable either to the front using the A pillar or the rear using the C pillar. Police radios and higher power commercial units were a split mount affair with the controls up front and the actual 'radio' located somewhere in the rear. Under dash units needed the cable routed up front. Usually the coax is routed under the drivers side of the dash and to the radio mounted there.

Most NMO cables are either 16 or 18 feet long and are about the size of a pencil (RG58 cable) so usually not too tough to hide.

We'd bring them out the bottom of the pillar and get under the carpet/floor mat. Be careful when routing them to avoid getting crushed under the seat brackets or sill plates. Also route around the foot wells as everyday use will eventually ruin the coax.

The hole inbetween the C-pillars is in the middle, so that's only 3 feet or so away from the C-pillar, so that might be a good idea to get it down there. I didn't open that hole yet, so I don't know if there already is a cable or not.

nofaz

Reaction score
If there was cable there I doubt the connector would still be on it. The NMO mount only comes out the top, you can't pull it inside. I'd just buy and new cable and maybe use the old one as a pull for the new one. Done that lots of times when the old mounts would get broke off and need to be replaced.

Be careful pulling the trim off. Not a big deal if you break a clip but if you damage the plastic it gets expensive.

Gotta get some sleep, will check in tomorrow.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I had two NMO mounts on mine when I got it. The coax was cut in the headliner on both though. This was not a problem.
I was able to access and replace both mounts and run my new coax by popping out the dome lights. (No tools needed.) I was able to run fresh coax from the NMO mount at the center and rear roof locations all the way to the A-pillar and down under the dash.
Just make sure that you use some duct tape to hold the coax down otherwise it may rattle at certain RPM's.

Bass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used one of my holes for an antenna for my dual band 2m. Used the furthest to the rear (I know, I know, terrible ground plane!) but it matches my agencies antenna locations. The CDMA cell booster is going to use another hole, whenever I decide to pull the trigger on that.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had two NMO mounts on mine when I got it. The coax was cut in the headliner on both though. This was not a problem.
I was able to access and replace both mounts and run my new coax by popping out the dome lights. (No tools needed.) I was able to run fresh coax from the NMO mount at the center and rear roof locations all the way to the A-pillar and down under the dash.
Just make sure that you use some duct tape to hold the coax down otherwise it may rattle at certain RPM's.

That sounds like it is not a lot of work at all. I am planning to run a cable, for at least am antenna for CB

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there was cable there I doubt the connector would still be on it. The NMO mount only comes out the top, you can't pull it inside. I'd just buy and new cable and maybe use the old one as a pull for the new one. Done that lots of times when the old mounts would get broke off and need to be replaced.

Be careful pulling the trim off. Not a big deal if you break a clip but if you damage the plastic it gets expensive.

Gotta get some sleep, will check in tomorrow.

I noticed trim is expensive. My SSV was missing a few pieces, a few bolt covers and the rear trim of the center console was broken (during shipping). The seller refunded me for the trim, but still $80 for a 8x12 bezel???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent

Latest posts