RE : Maintenance at 300,000mi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Hennigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive got a 2002 Yukon Denali with 300k on the clock. Original engine and trans, maintained very well. It burns almost no oil. Did the trans and driveline maintenance at 225k. Otherwise its been brakes, tires, a fuel pump. I fixed a number of oil leaks a couple years ago. Can't even remember when I did plugs and wires.

Im doing trans service again and was thinking maybe the driveline maintenance, diffs, transfer case etc. Think it needs it after just 75k? what else might be a good idea?

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needs? No. Depending on how you tend to use it, likely would not hurt to service them though.
If in doubt, I say do them in order of their importance to you, at your pace.

Can't remember when you did plugs & wires? Have you noticed your MpGs getting worse?
Soon as that trend becomes apparent, replace plugs & wires.
Buy coils even if they don't need replacing yet - cheaper today, than when they'll need replacing.

Know a livery driver with a 2011 Lincoln Town Car that presently has over 600,000 miles & still counting.
Has never repaired ANYTHING ... has preemptively rebuilt or replaced things she thought would fail, before failure.
Preemptively replaced the transmission 4 times.
3rd transmission was the original, rebuilt. 4th was the 2nd, rebuilt again.

Rebuilt axle @ 250,000 & 500,000 miles.
Replaced H2Opump every 75,000 miles.
Think you get the idea. Don't let it 'surprise' you.
Although I don't quite love my Tahoe yet, I plan to own it as long as possible, following her example.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 165,000 on my '05 YukonXL. I just had a service..... flushed-replaced coolant and replaced the overflow reservoir , oil-filter, trans oil-filter, front differential & transfer case, and an 'underneath inspection check'...... Last year I replaced plugs-wires ( Edelbrock ), serpentine belt & lower tensioner next to A/C compressor ( so low to ground, it takes a beating)......
But, nothing has failed since I bought the Yukon 5 years ago, ( except my bump stops need replacing )...... So, just keep up your preventative maintenance...... I expect 300,000 before a major fail ( fingers crossed)...... I have a high limit - unused credit card for future engine-transmission 'issues'. ( The CC card is my personal "warranty" that gives me that secure- " don't freak out if it breaks" feeling )
( I just gave my Yukon a new floor for appreciation of the reliable service it has given me )

Attachments

• 20230420_074906.jpg
    20230420_074906.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230424_105549.jpg
    20230424_105549.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth a separate post:
Since the cooling system is critically important, seriously consider buying in advance:
those suv specific couplers that tend to last about ten years
hoses
H2Opump
any other potential cooling system surprises

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14