Re-gear and g80 swap price

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hickory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Folks, been strongly considering regearing from the 3.42 to the 4.10s. I figured I would swap the g80 while I'm doing it. My questions are, how hard is this to do? Should I consider doing it myself?

As far as pricing, seems like I should be able to get parts for around $750? What should labor be? I had a guy quote me around $2500 for parts and labor and that seems about $1000 high to me. If that's what it's going to cost I may have to do it myself.

Edit: and also, how important is it that I swap the g80? I am not doing any serious four wheeling, but I do use the 4x4.

05 z71 Tahoe, 4x4. 285/70/17

Last edited:

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the use that you are considering the 4.10?

I use my Tahoe 90% towing in the snow. When it was time for replacements I had a few sore spots for the Tahoe. (the rusted brake line issue they beat, Castech heads, compressors slugging) and looked at a non-GM vehicle for the first time in my life.

But after looking at Armada and Sequoia I stuck with the Tahoe mostly for the G80. A good factory locker that is so much simpler than adding something aftermarket to another vehicle.

It really helps out the 2WDs in snow and rain, and now at least my 4WD will give me 3 wheels working, no getting stuck with the two right wheels spinning on an icy curb.

OP
OP
Hickory

Hickory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not satisfied with the low end with the 3.42s and my tires. I tow a heavy load with it fairly often so more low end would definitely be nice. I don't foresee using my tahoe on the interstate very often anymore, so I'm not really worried about the higher rpms at highway speeds.

I'm looking at replacing the g80 purely as a preventative measure after reading up on them. Although I am reconsidering the absolute need to replace it the more I read up on it.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not satisfied with the low end with the 3.42s and my tires. I tow a heavy load with it fairly often so more low end would definitely be nice. I don't foresee using my tahoe on the interstate very often anymore, so I'm not really worried about the higher rpms at highway speeds.

I'm looking at replacing the g80 purely as a preventative measure after reading up on them. Although I am reconsidering the absolute need to replace it the more I read up on it.

What'd you end up being here? I'm considering swapping my G80 for a Trutrac, though I don't offroad at all so wondering if it's overkill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs