Rc silverado front lift and skyjacker rear lift coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the CV for binding at full suspension droop and with the steering at full lock? If it’s not binding then you may have premature wear but at least it’s not gonna break the first time you hit a rock while turning. Visually it looks right on the edge of the CV articulation range, but photos can be tricky.

Are you saying I want it to bind? And everything is brand new it shouldn't have any premature wear. And it's at almost full droop even with it on its own weight. It only went down a couple inches when I let jack down. My wife asked why I stopped letting it down I pulled the jack out and she was asking why it didn't come down lol

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Are you saying I want it to bind? And everything is brand new it shouldn't have any premature wear. And it's at almost full droop even with it on its own weight. It only went down a couple inches when I let jack down. My wife asked why I stopped letting it down I pulled the jack out and she was asking why it didn't come down lol

You do not want it to bind. The CV can only handle a certain amount of angle and if that's exceeded the joints will bind up when the ball bearings run out of travel in the housing. Then they break. If you think about how the outer joint moves, it has to flex up/down for suspension travel and right/left to steer. Those two angles add up. So the joint can handle maximum up/down motion when the steering is straight ahead. And of course the CV can handle the most left/right articulation when it's level and parallel to the road.

What I always check after changing ride height is jack it up, let the suspension droop, and spin the tire / hub and make sure the CV is free (hasn't run out of flex). Then turn full left and repeat. Turn full right and repeat. If the CV can't flex that much you'll feel the bind and resistance to turning it by hand. If it's spinning freely at all the angle your suspension + steering combined give it, you are good to go.

The most common failure mode for CV's off road and especially lifted / big tires is having the steering cranked to one side and hitting a hard bump under power. That's when all the parts line up to max out your CV angles.

My comment about premature wear was directed at the future, not the present. A CV running 25 degrees angle is going to wear more than one running 10 degrees. The most common thing I've seen is boots wearing out early from high angle operation.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have misread your first comment. And I didn't feel any binding when I did that

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got front mostly done and back on ground last night. today I did a tape measure and eyeball alignment to get it atleast drivable till I can get it aligned properly. Then took it to town and cruised around got it washed and when I got back I trimmed the front wheel liners and plastic behind the bumper. And got the liner screwed on better. The increased scrub radius from the wheel spacers caused some rubbing. Also put on jeep jk lift sway links in the rear end of my burb yesterday. Still gotta get out front sway bushing bolts so I can install the sway bar and still waiting for the spohn rear arms and panhard. But it is getting close to done well atleast the suspension is lol I can't make it move down hardly at all even sitting on hood so thought it would be stuff but it actually rides amazingly soft and comfortable. Center caps will go on when everything is done Stock suspension measured 34 inches from ground to bottom of wheel well in front 36 from ground to bottom of wheel well in rear. Now it's 39 in front 39.5 in rear. That's after driving about 100 miles So 5 inches lift in front and 3.5 in rear.IMG_20210323_143821638.jpg IMG_20210323_143753090.jpg IMG_20210323_132822388.jpg

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She is throwing abs and traction control lights now gotta figure out why

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's actually the problem. I gotta crawl under and check. But been enjoying driving it everywhere last couple days. I can't get over how smooth she rides I have a bad kidney that's pretty sensitive to the bouncing and shit. this is first time in a long time I've been able to drive something alot without it hurting. Bad news it's now throwing a p0016 code crank cam correlation ☹️ it's been starting hard occasionally for couple weeks assuming that's why. But no other symptoms. Idk how long codes been there haven't scanned it in a couple weeks and lights been on for evap forever. Hopefully thats just a sensor I don't want to get into the timing chain right now.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 3.5 lift kit lifting the front 5 inches and the rear only coming up 3.5 inches it feels kinda low in the rear and the wife dont like that so definitely going to have to order a set of c50r 5 inch rear lift springs to bring ass up a little bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts