Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you about noise, everyday I hear something new from mine lol, anyway nice build!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna ask your opinion of the tensioner types. After seeing the pics of the spring-loaded type coming apart, I was convinced to go back to the LS2 (block in center) style. I don't care about noise- it can't be that bad. The Gen3s, for the most part, didn't have anything at all and they're not known for timing chain failures. I'm sure the spring style failures really aren't all that common. But, just the fact that there are actually parts to separate has me leery. The LS2 has the block style mainly to limit the chain's movement under high RPM deceleration, like between shifts. Otherwise, the chain is always in tension on one side and compression on the other. So, maybe it's a VVT thing, like the phasing action affects the way the chain whips around so it needs an active tensioner?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I used an LS2 timing chain and the spring tensioner in mine. I would be afraid the block style, causing that much noise, would be picked up by the knock sensors and retard the timing.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought there used to be another style that looked like the block but had a spring loaded shoe on it as well

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine had some cylinder pressure issues and was harder to tune with VVT, finally decided to go without. I think he went with texas speed cam

Last edited:
OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has served me well, I just wanted more adjustability with it.
Would prob benefit from a different cam but but there are other things I would change along with it. The vvt cam i have is from Texas speed, i emailed them a few times back and forth - they said i would see more power in boost but prob a little sluggish out of it with a different cam.
By swapping the block i'm hoping to start cam retard a little sooner and carry it out further in the rpm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011