Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welp...buddy was unable to have this thing take up room in his shop all day, something about "this is a legit business i cant just eff around with racetruck stuff all day" nonsense.
Sounds like he needs a readjustment to his commitment level to me. Business schmusiness! We got over sized, heavy race things to build so that they can break again! You tell him to get his priorities in line!

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rand, pm me yer address.... I’d like to send you a few bags of small black tywraps. Please remove and discard all white ptys and discard any in your garage right now. K thanks bu-bye now.

;)

:oops:

Just for that they're staying.

I threw them on there cause I was driving around with no bumper

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ordered some head gaskets.

been really hoping something else would make sense as to why, but its been spitting out the overflow on the reservoir cap. thought it may have just been heating the coolant higher than the temp sensor was showing, expanding and running a little out. it wasnt that noticeable because i think it would get sucked into the radiator and circulated and every two-three weeks id need to top off the coolant, not really a big deal.
but since removing the big air to air intercooler from in front of the radiator this thing runs very cool (150*ish) and i also re did the steam vents to a larger tube off of each head, was -4an off every hole into a single -4an to the reservoir, now each hole has a -4an but where they tee together it turns right into a -6an, and then together with a -6an to the reservoir. whatever steam is created goes straight to the reservoir(like it should) instead of the radiator but now you can see where its just constantly blowing through the pressure cap (18psi iirc) and spraying that side of the engine bay down.

i never did a leak down test, only did a compression test, but im hoping it will narrow down which head/cylinder is the problem - it would be nice if it were the driver side head it would take the least work to pull and swap

i did get the ac system+chiller charged back up, its awesome.... but just bitter sweet that i need to pull the intake and head/s back off. cruising around i was intake temps down in the 40s :eek: . it was pretty chilly out (for south florida) like 60* or so, which 20* under ambient doesnt sound so impressive but mind you when i drove this thing around without the chiller in the same weather, the intake temps "settled" around 120* cruising. the turbo basically just sucks in air that has passed thru the radiator, sucks - but until i decide to redo the hot side its what im stuck with

Last edited:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

been really hoping something else would make sense as to why, but its been spitting out the overflow on the reservoir cap. thought it may have just been heating the coolant higher than the temp sensor was showing, expanding and running a little out. it wasnt that noticeable because i think it would get sucked into the radiator and circulated and every two-three weeks id need to top off the coolant, not really a big deal.
but since removing the big air to air intercooler from in front of the radiator this thing runs very cool (150*ish) and i also re did the steam vents to a larger tube off of each head, was -4an off every hole into a single -4an to the reservoir, now each hole has a -4an but where they tee together it turns right into a -6an, and then together with a -6an to the reservoir. whatever steam is created goes straight to the reservoir(like it should) instead of the radiator but now you can see where its just constantly blowing through the pressure cap (18psi iirc) and spraying that side of the engine bay down.

i never did a leak down test, only did a compression test, but im hoping it will narrow down which head/cylinder is the problem - it would be nice if it were the driver side head it would take the least work to pull and swap

Dammit man. Do not like

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i did get the ac system+chiller charged back up, its awesome.... but just bitter sweet that i need to pull the intake and head/s back off. cruising around i was intake temps down in the 40s :eek: . it was pretty chilly out (for south florida) like 60* or so, which 20* under ambient doesnt sound so impressive but mind you when i drove this thing around without the chiller in the same weather, the intake temps "settled" around 120* cruising. the turbo basically just sucks in air that has passed thru the radiator, sucks - but until i decide to redo the hot side its what im stuck with
F*ck.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, no water in the oil, no smoke out the exhaust... it runs and drives fine at the moment. i think just when that cylinder pressure gets up there wot it pressurizes the coolant system, head gasket a little damaged from whatever - ive beaten the piss out of this engine. would rather just fix it before it fails all together and floods a cylinder

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nothing but an hour or 2 job :p.

What gaskets have you been running?

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19170419

thats what they put it together with, so thats what i ordered.
i dont think its a failure of the head gasket. ive cooked this thing pretty bad when i was dealing with the overheating issues, guessing it took some damage

That does suck but it's not the worst thing ever. i guess the Leak down will tell you more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal