Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new trucool 40k came in, just it and the remote mount cooler was fine for track with plenty of cool down time between. i would like to play around on the street without having to worry about back to back runs so i went ahead and plumbed it back thru the radiator. i have one hose that i can move between the two of them to go back and forth pretty quickly if i dont like it though. front bumper still off i might go for a quick drive tonight and make sure no leaks before i put it back on.
still waiting on fuel pump to get delivered, said supposed to be shipped on 3/25 but not sure - everywhere else saying backordered so we'll see. regulator, filter, check valve, and abunch of fittings already here waiting.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just sent my trans off to be repaired under warranty, seems my last full throttle AWD launch broke something even though it’s built for 900 HP. As a note, I thought I’d mention that the builder, Performabuilt, instructs to remove the radiator from the loop because they say it restricts cooling capacity. I’m running a Whipple on my 6.0, cammed , headers and 2800 stall.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting, i'll keep an eye on it. i kinda assumed it was just a tube submersed top to bottom in the radiator.
my trans is not happy one bit lol, doing everything i can to keep temps down. shifts are still firm and not noticing any slip but builds a lot of heat im trying to keep under control. and its no where near as turned up as i planned on keeping it

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im starting to think a yukon isnt the best thing to make into a drag truck :eek:

so last time i went track i did a little bit of a full pull, it went like: soft launch, ran the 1/8th, looked down at afr trend - was fine, got back in it and it mph'd 116 lol

have been having trouble getting it to shift out of 1st, it would blow thru the shift point(6100rpm), hit redline (7200rpm), shut off, come back, traction control, etc the 1-2 shift would take like half a second, all other shifts good.
been reading all i can on how to get trans to shift worth a crap, messing with torque coefficients, and airmass based blahblah. and it seems like i can either get the 1-2 shift good and all the rest are off... or 1-2 is crap and every other is great, or they're all great so long as you dont go WOT :emotions122:

so i'm trying to limit throttle movement in 1st to say 75-80% or so and see if that will get it to shift good enough.

its been running great, i used some pushlok air fittings for the wastegate lines, boost had been spiking up to 12psi every once in a while (power down shifts mostly) but would usually be 9-10psi. i read someone had issues with the pushlok fittings that swiveled (i had one on the compressor) the swivel uses an o-ring to seal that isnt really rated for the heat and leaked. so i swapped it out for a straight connector and has brought boost back down to a pretty consistent 7.5-8 psi, no spikes.

trans cooler now has remote dual fan cooler, trucool 40k, and stock radiator cooler in line lol. i will prob heed rocket man's warning and install a deep pan with extra capacity.

soo last night at track - probably last cool night till next "winter" down here so i took her out, same ol shitshow only a few runs... wanted to try out traction control on/off/fuse pulled but no such luck. buncha broke down pos cars. really didnt do any better mph wise than first time out, which i was kinda bummed about wasnt sure why but looking at the logs it was pretty obvious... i took 3.5-4 psi out of it and pretty much ran the same time.

60's werent great with the 1-2 shift messed up, had one 1.74 even with a little stumble on the shift, others were 1.9x. if i can get a clean shift i think itll be real close to a 1.6x.

pump ship date pushed back again.... so no fuel for atleast another week.

i did order a new tci flexplate sfi approved, from summit was already delivered todaynice looking piece. i will probably have someone install, dropping trans is a mofo on my back, i aint @Rocket Man :cheers:

[after fuel sys all up and going] i think ill have enoughpower to blow this old engine up anytime i want, so im going to start re-denali-izing my yukon. not that ive stripped it out or anything. but i mean to try and hunt down/eliminate all the noises/vibrations, get it to ride nice and smooth again, prob need new shocks for the rear... they're a little bit out of their range and have over a year and half of beatings on them. going to get new (larger) aluminum driveshaft for the rear made, front shaft is fine but a little tight...needs another 1/2-1" taken off of the stock length, i'll prob have my guy local do that - not so worried about it failing as rear. check wheel bearings, lube suspension, etc. have a few exhaust ticks i need to close up from rushing thru welding it all up myself.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
talk to a guy who caught a couple nice vids last time out, nice hd cam, not sure how to embed at a certain time... first run is about the 4min mark...i think there's another about 7:50 in
you can really see how terrible the 1-2 shift is on the first one

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
talk to a guy who caught a couple nice vids last time out, nice hd cam, not sure how to embed at a certain time... first run is about the 4min mark...i think there's another about 7:50 in
you can really see how terrible the 1-2 shift is on the first one

Thanks for posting!! Sad to see the ZO6 hit the wall.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i was right there in the burnout box and watched it...stayed in it to long. he was staged in the right lane hit that side first, went across and hit left side. almost clipped other driver in left lane

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im starting to think a yukon isnt the best thing to make into a drag truck :eek:

so last time i went track i did a little bit of a full pull, it went like: soft launch, ran the 1/8th, looked down at afr trend - was fine, got back in it and it mph'd 116 lol

have been having trouble getting it to shift out of 1st, it would blow thru the shift point(6100rpm), hit redline (7200rpm), shut off, come back, traction control, etc the 1-2 shift would take like half a second, all other shifts good.
been reading all i can on how to get trans to shift worth a crap, messing with torque coefficients, and airmass based blahblah. and it seems like i can either get the 1-2 shift good and all the rest are off... or 1-2 is crap and every other is great, or they're all great so long as you dont go WOT :emotions122:

so i'm trying to limit throttle movement in 1st to say 75-80% or so and see if that will get it to shift good enough.

its been running great, i used some pushlok air fittings for the wastegate lines, boost had been spiking up to 12psi every once in a while (power down shifts mostly) but would usually be 9-10psi. i read someone had issues with the pushlok fittings that swiveled (i had one on the compressor) the swivel uses an o-ring to seal that isnt really rated for the heat and leaked. so i swapped it out for a straight connector and has brought boost back down to a pretty consistent 7.5-8 psi, no spikes.

trans cooler now has remote dual fan cooler, trucool 40k, and stock radiator cooler in line lol. i will prob heed rocket man's warning and install a deep pan with extra capacity.

soo last night at track - probably last cool night till next "winter" down here so i took her out, same ol shitshow only a few runs... wanted to try out traction control on/off/fuse pulled but no such luck. buncha broke down pos cars. really didnt do any better mph wise than first time out, which i was kinda bummed about wasnt sure why but looking at the logs it was pretty obvious... i took 3.5-4 psi out of it and pretty much ran the same time.

60's werent great with the 1-2 shift messed up, had one 1.74 even with a little stumble on the shift, others were 1.9x. if i can get a clean shift i think itll be real close to a 1.6x.

pump ship date pushed back again.... so no fuel for atleast another week.

i did order a new tci flexplate sfi approved, from summit was already delivered todaynice looking piece. i will probably have someone install, dropping trans is a mofo on my back, i aint @Rocket Man :cheers:

[after fuel sys all up and going] i think ill have enoughpower to blow this old engine up anytime i want, so im going to start re-denali-izing my yukon. not that ive stripped it out or anything. but i mean to try and hunt down/eliminate all the noises/vibrations, get it to ride nice and smooth again, prob need new shocks for the rear... they're a little bit out of their range and have over a year and half of beatings on them. going to get new (larger) aluminum driveshaft for the rear made, front shaft is fine but a little tight...needs another 1/2-1" taken off of the stock length, i'll prob have my guy local do that - not so worried about it failing as rear. check wheel bearings, lube suspension, etc. have a few exhaust ticks i need to close up from rushing thru welding it all up myself.
I still dont have it back in ya know...btw is your torque converter able to lock up at wot? That’s in the tune. Would help out with shifting.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

...so im going to start re-denali-izing my yukon.

I'm thinking of an old G-Body coming to your stables soon, maybe an Olds Cutlass or Monte Carlo? Then get ready for some 1.3X short times!

We used to control our boost mechanically via two methods. First was the factory wastegate which set the minimum boost pressure. Then we by-passed the electronic control and used a compressor valve for control from inside, fit perfect inside the ash tray. On launch, this type of valve would give a nice swing in pressure, about 5 psi over what the max pressure would be in third gear so setting the dial to 18 psi would give a 1st gear swing of about 23 psi. Anything over 24-25 psi would lift the heads off the block but they could run 20 psi all day long in any gear.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2